Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > "send page" not working in Firefox

"send page" not working in Firefox

Chazz Matt

"Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
"send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
compose window.

That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
advertised. I want "send page" -- which comes with IE and came with
Netscape Navigator. If you want "send link", then re-name the current
"send page" feature for truth in advertising -- and give me a REAL
"send page", too! I use that feature a lot to send articles to
friends annotated with my comments. Just sending the URL does me no
good.

Dr. Briefs

Chazz Matt apparently wrote thus:
>"Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
>"send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
>compose window.
>That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
>advertised.

Actually, the page is sent as an attachment. So it *does* send the
page, just as "advertised.

--
Glenn Wang <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.capcorphq.com/
Proud member of #SAS# and Co-Founder of #WASHU#

.BRIAN.

On 7/8/2004 04:16 AM, Chazz Matt wrote:
> "Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
> "send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
> compose window.
>
> That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
> advertised. I want "send page" -- which comes with IE and came with
> Netscape Navigator. If you want "send link", then re-name the current
> "send page" feature for truth in advertising -- and give me a REAL
> "send page", too! I use that feature a lot to send articles to
> friends annotated with my comments. Just sending the URL does me no
> good.

Holy ****. Deja Vu. Reading through the newsgroup before posting is
usually a good thing to do.

--
Brian

Chazz Matt

".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<I7bHc.1309$Qj.459@lakeread01>...
> On 7/8/2004 04:16 AM, Chazz Matt wrote:
> > "Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
> > "send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
> > compose window.
> >
> > That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
> > advertised. I want "send page" -- which comes with IE and came with
> > Netscape Navigator. If you want "send link", then re-name the current
> > "send page" feature for truth in advertising -- and give me a REAL
> > "send page", too! I use that feature a lot to send articles to
> > friends annotated with my comments. Just sending the URL does me no
> > good.

> Holy ****. Deja Vu. Reading through the newsgroup before posting is
> usually a good thing to do.

NO you are wrong. It just sends the URL. It does not send the page
as an attachment.

Chazz Matt

"Dr. Briefs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ccj4j0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Chazz Matt apparently wrote thus:
> >"Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
> >"send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
> >compose window.
> >That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
> >advertised.

> Actually, the page is sent as an attachment. So it *does* send the
> page, just as "advertised.

NO, you are wrong. It send the URL pasted in a message. It does not
send the page as an attachment. I am using Windows 2000 Pro with
service pack 4 and Outlook 2003. I hit "send page" (in Firefox) and
an new message compose window pops up with the URL pasted in. There
are no attachments. I sent it to myself and all I got was a mail from
me with a URL pasted in.

I tested all this before posting. Did you?

Chazz Matt

"Dr. Briefs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ccj4j0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Chazz Matt apparently wrote thus:
> >"Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
> >"send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
> >compose window.
> >That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
> >advertised.

> Actually, the page is sent as an attachment. So it *does* send the
> page, just as "advertised.
>

> --
> Glenn Wang <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.capcorphq.com/
> Proud member of #SAS# and Co-Founder of #WASHU#
> ************************************************** *********************

And even if it sent as an attachment that is inferior to how IE does
it and how old Netscape used to do it. I want to SEE the web page I
am sending. I want to be able to make comments on various paragraphs,
maybe bold the most pertinent sentences.

But, again, it does NOT send as an attachment, it sends as a link.
And that is a bug. Or a lie. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

.BRIAN.

On 7/8/2004 04:15 PM, Chazz Matt wrote:
> ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<I7bHc.1309$Qj.459@lakeread01>...
>
>>On 7/8/2004 04:16 AM, Chazz Matt wrote:
>>
>>>"Send Page" option (right clicking or from File menu) is actually
>>>"send link". It opens up a new mail message and pastes the URL in the
>>>compose window.
>>>
>>>That's a fine feature, but it's "send link", not "send page" as
>>>advertised. I want "send page" -- which comes with IE and came with
>>>Netscape Navigator. If you want "send link", then re-name the current
>>>"send page" feature for truth in advertising -- and give me a REAL
>>>"send page", too! I use that feature a lot to send articles to
>>>friends annotated with my comments. Just sending the URL does me no
>>>good.

>>Holy ****. Deja Vu. Reading through the newsgroup before posting is
>>usually a good thing to do.

> NO you are wrong. It just sends the URL. It does not send the page
> as an attachment.

Hmm... I didn't know I said that. I guess Google is messing up posts.

--
Brian

.BRIAN.

On 7/8/2004 04:24 PM, Chazz Matt wrote:

> And even if it sent as an attachment that is inferior to how IE does
> it and how old Netscape used to do it. I want to SEE the web page I
> am sending. I want to be able to make comments on various paragraphs,
> maybe bold the most pertinent sentences.
>
> But, again, it does NOT send as an attachment, it sends as a link.
> And that is a bug. Or a lie. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

Then go use IE and be happy. Obviously for what you need in your life,
IE is the better choice. And if FF did send the page as an attachment,
it would still only be your opinion that the method is "inferior".

Have you filled to Bugzilla and filled out a bug report for your big
discovery?

I'm glad I have HTML email turned off in TB so I don't ever get that
crap in my inbox.

--
Brian

Chazz Matt

".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<3jkHc.1961$Qj.74@lakeread01>...
> On 7/8/2004 04:15 PM, Chazz Matt wrote:

> >>Holy ****. Deja Vu. Reading through the newsgroup before posting is
> >>usually a good thing to do.

> > NO you are wrong. It just sends the URL. It does not send the page
> > as an attachment.

> Hmm... I didn't know I said that. I guess Google is messing up posts.

You didn't, sorry. I replied to the wrong post. My bad.

Chazz Matt

".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<NpkHc.1964$Qj.422@lakeread01>...
> On 7/8/2004 04:24 PM, Chazz Matt wrote:
>
> > And even if it sent as an attachment that is inferior to how IE does
> > it and how old Netscape used to do it. I want to SEE the web page I
> > am sending. I want to be able to make comments on various paragraphs,
> > maybe bold the most pertinent sentences.
> >
> > But, again, it does NOT send as an attachment, it sends as a link.
> > And that is a bug. Or a lie. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

> Then go use IE and be happy. Obviously for what you need in your life,
> IE is the better choice. And if FF did send the page as an attachment,
> it would still only be your opinion that the method is "inferior".
>
> Have you filled to Bugzilla and filled out a bug report for your big
> discovery?
>
> I'm glad I have HTML email turned off in TB so I don't ever get that
> crap in my inbox.

Yes, besides posting the bug report here in the newsgroups, I also
filled out an official bug report with Mozilla. The feedback I got
was the bug was already reported that "send page" was mislabeled and
in the future would probably be "send link", if I understood the
e-mail correctly. However, I would love to have both.

It's funny, the one thing I LOVED about Netscape 4.x was that "send
page" feature. I am a news junkie (I work for a national cable news
television network), and I am always sending news/editorial articles
to friends -- with my comments. I was an early Netscape user (summer
'95) and paid for a subscription. Years later, even after IE started
improving, I still would not use IE because for the longest they
didn't have a good "send page" function. Finally, Microsoft came up
with one -- your choice of either "send page" or "send link". And it
was a TRUE "send page" where you could SEE what was being sent in the
message window, not a blind attachment. But, Microsfot still never
made it a right-click choice like Netscape 4.x had...

So, how hard would it be to improve upon IE in this regard? Both a
"send page" AND "send link" choice -- and make it a right-click
option.

As for HTML formatting in e-mails... I produce an e-mail newsletter
for my church's Singles group and I often insert images for
illustrative purposes -- besides using different font sizes and
underling for titles, and bolding some words or sentences. The
newletter doesn't have to look like he church's website, but it does
have to share some of those features (like the logo for instance?) to
look professional. I couldn't do it with just plain text. That would
be like sending a telegram and would not be an effective
communications tool for the church.