Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Saving state in a page

Saving state in a page

BÝrge Hansen

Hi.

I am trying to create functionality for saving the contents (state) of a
page. The idea is that when navigating away from a webpage and later
returning the state of the textboxes, etc should be reinstated.... Just like
Viewstate, but not....

Basicly I have a tabbed GUI and wants to make the webapp work like a winform
with tabs....

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks anyway.

BÝrge

Nils Magnus Englund

Hi,

You could have it all on one page, and use panels with user controls for
each tab. That way, you'd still only have one page (with one viewstate) for
all tabs. (e.g. ActivePanel.Visible = true; OtherPanel.Visible = false

Sincerely,
Nils Magnus Englund

"BÝrge Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to create functionality for saving the contents (state) of a
> page. The idea is that when navigating away from a webpage and later
> returning the state of the textboxes, etc should be reinstated.... Just
> like Viewstate, but not....
>
> Basicly I have a tabbed GUI and wants to make the webapp work like a
> winform with tabs....
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> BÝrge

Kevin Spencer

Hi BÝrge,

If we keep separation of UI and business logic in mind, the most obvious
solution would be to tie the front-end page to a back-end class, which
maintains the state of the data in the page, NOT the HTML elements in the
page, and have the page initialize itself from the data. Then you can store
the class in Session State, Application State, or even in a database of some
kind. When the user navigates back to the page, it reads the data from the
cached store and re-initializes itself.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer