Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Mod_Perl vs PHP in memory, speed, varibles

Mod_Perl vs PHP in memory, speed, varibles

nntp

I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped running.
Even those running eat memory like crazy.

I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as memory
hog, varible initialization etc.

Is there a way to use Perl scripts at the same speed of PHP without worrying
about those clearing varibles etc in mod_perl.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp wrote:
> I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped running.
> Even those running eat memory like crazy.

Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html

> I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as memory
> hog, varible initialization etc.

The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
are of rare occurrence.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp

> nntp wrote:
> > I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped

running.
> > Even those running eat memory like crazy.

> Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html

That does not work. Even with PerlRun, there are huge memory leak.

> > I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as

memory
> > hog, varible initialization etc.

> The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
> while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
> mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
> are of rare occurrence.

PHP programmers don't need to worry about initializtion, and the PHP itself
will clear all memory after usage. I don't understand why mod_perl can not
do it. This really kills perl in majority. Anyone can write php, but only
few can write mod_perl.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html

> That does not work.

I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp

**** off. Stupid ****.

> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Jerry Stuckle

nntp wrote:
>>nntp wrote:

>>>That does not work.

>>I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
>>hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

> **** off. Stupid ****.
>

>>--
>>Gunnar Hjalmarsson
>>Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

LOL.

Gunnar,

You got him nailed. Typical troll response.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Tad McClellan

[ Followups set ]

nntp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> nntp wrote:
>> > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

>> Show us some
>> hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

> **** off. Stupid ****.

Very intellectual of you, we are surely impressed.

I guess that means that you cannot support your claim.

We were all wondering if Gunnar had it right or not, thanks for
posting your confirmation of which way it is.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming