Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > PAR 0.89 + Socket + ASP 5.8.7 = PL_memory_wrap

PAR 0.89 + Socket + ASP 5.8.7 = PL_memory_wrap

John Bokma

A script consisting of just:

use Socket 1.3;

gives the PL_memory_wrap .... perl58.dll message

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Mis documentos\Amber\Customers\Michael
Lovelady\DRv1>hello.exe
Can't load 'C:\DOCUME~1\John\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-John\cache-1121283538
\6b24f9a6.dll' for module Socket: load_file:No se encontr¾ el proceso es
pecificado at C:/aperl58/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at ../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm line 107
Compilation failed in require at script/hello.pl line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/hello.pl line 1.

A. Sinan Unur

John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> A script consisting of just:
>
> use Socket 1.3;
>
> gives the PL_memory_wrap .... perl58.dll message
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\John\Mis documentos\Amber\Customers\Michael
> Lovelady\DRv1>hello.exe
> Can't load 'C:\DOCUME~1\John\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-John\cache-1121283538
> \6b24f9a6.dll' for module Socket: load_file:No se encontr¾ el proceso
> es pecificado at C:/aperl58/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
> at ../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm line 107
> Compilation failed in require at script/hello.pl line 1.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/hello.pl line 1.

Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided the
impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers, so I
had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

Now, I am using the free command line compiler from Microsoft, which
probably does not match the AS compiler used to compile Perl. I am not
able to replicate the problem. Here is the info:

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cl
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for
80x86

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> pp -V
Perl Packager, version 0.12 (PAR version 0.89)

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cat t.pl
use Socket 1.3;

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cat t.pl
use Socket 1.3;

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> pp -o t.exe t.pl

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> t

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp>

Sorry, can't be of more help right now, but let me know if there are
specific things you'd like me to try.

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not mention
it again in the body of your message.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Bokma

"A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided the
> impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers, so I
> had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

PAR is at bribes, but you need to install it "my" way:
<http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/tree/browse_frm/thread/c38299089f
e7c3f5/c6c1808bafa19df7>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ ?

> Sorry, can't be of more help right now,

You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

> BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not mention
> it again in the body of your message.

I use a Spanish version of XP PL_memory_wrap is an entry point that
seems to be missing. The English version seems to be:
"The procedure entry point PL_memory_wrap could not be located in the
Dynamic link library perl58.dll"

> "A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided
>> the impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers,
>> so I had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

> PAR is at bribes, but you need to install it "my" way:
> <http://groups-
> beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/tree/browse_frm/thread/
> c38299089f e7c3f5/c6c1808bafa19df7>

Well, I'll keep that in mind, but right now, everything seems to be
fine.

>> Now, I am using the free command line compiler from Microsoft, which

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ ?

Yup, that's it.

>> Sorry, can't be of more help right now,

> You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
> tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

>> BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not
>> mention it again in the body of your message.

> I use a Spanish version of XP PL_memory_wrap is an entry point
> that seems to be missing. The English version seems to be:
> "The procedure entry point PL_memory_wrap could not be located in the
> Dynamic link library perl58.dll"

Ah! Thanks.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Bokma

"A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

[ Compiling PAR ]

>> You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
>> tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

> You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

Stuck at:

main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
referenced in function ___findenv
(and several others...)

I installed the 2003 CLI stuff, and the SDK, but have no idea why I get
those (OK, there is a library missing, but which one, sounds quite basic).

I got in the beginning (perl Makefile.PL):

Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib
Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib
Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

the first two sound harmless to me. Can't remember what msvcrt.lib does
(IIRC GUI related?)

Ron Savage

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:17:47 +1000, John Bokma wrote:

Hi John

> Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib Note
> (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib Note
> (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib
>
> the first two sound harmless to me. Can't remember what msvcrt.lib
> does (IIRC GUI related?)

msvcrt => MS Visual C++ Run Time, I believe. I.e. fundamental!

Sisyphus

"John Bokma" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Stuck at:
>
> main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
> referenced in function ___findenv
> (and several others...)

Looks like that will be fixed when you link to msvcrt.lib

> I installed the 2003 CLI stuff, and the SDK, but have no idea why I get
> those (OK, there is a library missing, but which one, sounds quite basic).
>
> I got in the beginning (perl Makefile.PL):
>
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib

Those 2 should be in the PlatformSDK/lib folder. Are they there ? (Doubt
that these 2 are needed anyway.)

> Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

Should be in your VC7/lib folder. You'll need to link to it. (If you don't
have it, it will be available somewhere on the MS website.)

Cheers,
Rob

> "A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> [ Compiling PAR ]
>
>>> You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
>>> tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

>> You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

> Stuck at:
>
> main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
> referenced in function ___findenv
> (and several others...)

> Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

Once you get msvcrt.lib, those should be resolved.

See also:

<URL:http://sapdb.2scale.net/moin.cgi/MS_20C_2b_2b_20Toolkit>

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Bokma

"A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

> Once you get msvcrt.lib, those should be resolved.

The odd thing is, I installed the SDK, and:

C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib

*does* have the msvcrt.lib...

Set Lib=
C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%

(one line) solved that problem

So what I did:

cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
run Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 Command Prompt

in this "prompt":

cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Platform SDK
setenv /XP32 /RETAIL
cd C:\......\PAR-0.89.tar\PAR-0.89

Set Lib=
C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%
nmake clean
perl Makefile.PL
nmake
nmake install

And... works!

Manye thanks Sinan, Ron, and Rob (Sisyphus)

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach John Bokma:

> So what I did:
>
> cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
> run Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 Command Prompt
>
> in this "prompt":
>
> cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Platform SDK
> setenv /XP32 /RETAIL
> cd C:\......\PAR-0.89.tar\PAR-0.89
>
> Set Lib=
> C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%
> nmake clean
> perl Makefile.PL
> nmake
> nmake install
>

> And... works!

The Microsoft compiler kid comes with a little batch-file, vcvars32.bat,
somewhere in the compiler's bin/ directory. If you run this file prior
to any compilational work, the environment should be set correctly. You
even need this when using the dedicated Visual C++ command prompt as I
learnt myself two days ago.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;