Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Book: Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs

Book: Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs

Casey Hawthorne

You may be interested in the following book:

Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)
by Mark Jason Dominus "Until the release of Perl 5.6.0, there was no
good way to generate a binary numeral in Perl..." (more)

--
Regards,
Casey

Sherm Pendley

Casey Hawthorne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You may be interested in the following book:
>
> Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.

*plonk*

sherm--

Christopher Nehren

On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
curious markings:
>> You may be interested in the following book:
>>
>> Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

> Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
>
> *plonk*

.... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
even write*?

If you ask questions of idiots, you get "Joel on Software".

A. Sinan Unur

Christopher Nehren <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.org:

> On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
> curious markings:
>>> You may be interested in the following book:
>>>
>>> Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

>> Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
>>
>> *plonk*

> ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
> even write*?

Well, if you inspect the URL:

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...558607013/qid=
>1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
>v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
else's affiliate link in the mean time).

As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

Sinan

PS: I'll join the plonking of the OP.

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

axel@white-eagle.invalid.uk

A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Christopher Nehren <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
>> even write*?

> Well, if you inspect the URL:

>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...558607013/qid=
>>1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
>>v=glance&s=books&n=507846

> Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
> If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
> now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
> else's affiliate link in the mean time).

> As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

"My contract says that after the book is published I can
distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
free. Watch this space for updates."

Axel

Lewis Perin

"A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Christopher Nehren <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.org:
>
> > On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
> > curious markings:

> >> Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
> >>
> >> *plonk*

> > ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
> > even write*?

> Well, if you inspect the URL:
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...558607013/qid=
> >1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
> >v=glance&s=books&n=507846

> Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
> If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
> now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
> else's affiliate link in the mean time).
>
> As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.
>
> The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

Thanks for the careful explanation. I forwarded the original post to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) with the following comment:

The Usenet post I'm forwarding here is an attempt to misuse a public
forum for the purpose of benefiting the poster's Amazon account.
Please take action on this, or else you will be a passive participant
in spamming.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / (E-Mail Removed)

Tad McClellan

A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.
>
> The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

A bit of Googling seems to show that this is just one of many
such "helpful" posts by this OP...

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Casey Hawthorne

Sorry about that!

I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!

Or that it would soon be free on the web!

--
Regards,
Casey

A. Sinan Unur

Casey Hawthorne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sorry about that!
>
> I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!
>
> Or that it would soon be free on the web!

Given the other examples Tad has found, I doubt anyone is willing to
believe you. I am hoping your ISP takes this seriously as well.

> --
> Regards,
> Casey

Incidentally, your signature delimiter is incorrect: It should be two
dashes followed by a space followed by a newline.

Oh, before I forget again, *PLONK*.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

David H. Adler

On 2005-07-09, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:
>
> http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free
>
> "My contract says that after the book is published I can
> distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
> of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
> free. Watch this space for updates."

That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
this one, maybe he'll write more!

dha
--
David H. Adler - <(E-Mail Removed)> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
tastes filling! less great! - ignatz in #perl