Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > What is a dependency? - Installation problem

What is a dependency? - Installation problem

Paul J Mooney

What, in Perl, is a dependency? The
reason that I'm asking is that I've
been trying to install Perl (Version
5.8.6) on a DOS/DJGPP platform,
but I can't get the dependencies to
compile with Make. After running
Configure, I've tried to run "Make
Depend", but I keep getting this error
message: " *** No rule to make target
`depend'. Stop.".

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

[ Please fix the problem with your computer. I see four instances of
your message! ]

Paul J Mooney wrote:
> What, in Perl, is a dependency?

A *module* dependency is info about which other modules a module needs
in order to work.

> The reason that I'm asking is that I've been trying to install Perl
> (Version 5.8.6) on a DOS/DJGPP platform,

Are you aware of ActiveState and IndigoPerl? I'm an advocate of the
latter (http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm) since it gives you
Apache with CGI, mod_perl and PHP thrown in. (Besides that, the actual
Perl bundles are very similar AFAIK.)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Sisyphus

"Paul J Mooney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What, in Perl, is a dependency? The
> reason that I'm asking is that I've
> been trying to install Perl (Version
> 5.8.6) on a DOS/DJGPP platform,
> but I can't get the dependencies to
> compile with Make. After running
> Configure, I've tried to run "Make
> Depend", but I keep getting this error
> message: " *** No rule to make target
> `depend'. Stop.".

Why do you want run "Make Depend" ? README.dos (in the top level of the
source tarball) mentions nothing about running such a command. Does
something go awry when you try to build according to the README.dos
instructions ? If so, what is the error you are getting ? (Though I'm not
too sure that anyone here will be able to help

Are you sure you want to use DJGPP to build perl ? You're quite entitled to
do that, of course, though mostly on Win32, people use one of the binaries
that Gunnar mentioned - or if they want to build perl themselves on Win32
they usually choose to build with either Microsoft's Visual Studio or the
freely available MinGW and dmake.

Cheers,
Rob