Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > CPAN ("first time"): how escape "Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:" loop?

CPAN ("first time"): how escape "Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:" loop?

Sherm Pendley

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Combs) writes:

> Now it's (just after?) "testing",
>
> and it keeps asking me:
>
> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

Just to pick nits, that's part of the self-test suite for Term::ReadLine,
which is a module that's specified in Bundle::CPAN.

> QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
> no more of those
>
> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".

sherm--

David Combs

Finally, at LONG last, I'm starting-up CPAN module (on my machine).

Asked a bunch of question; ok, answered them.

Now it's (just after?) "testing",

and it keeps asking me:

Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

Now, it does work: 3 + 5 does give 8.

(Good enough for me!)

QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
no more of those

Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

questions; proceed to finishing-up.

Thanks!

David

Sherm Pendley

(E-Mail Removed) (David Combs) writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) (David Combs) writes:
>>
>>> QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
>>> no more of those
>>>
>>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

>>Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".

> OK, I tried that, but no luck.
>
> Probably has to do with my doing the run out of
> an emacs *shell*-window.
>
> With luck, you too will be an emacs-user, and will
> be able to suggest a way out!

Xemacs actually - but close enough. Xemacs' shell doesn't show me the default
"exit" text either, nor does simply hitting "enter" do any good.

Typing out "exit", or sending an EOF with C-d both work for me.

> PS: any idea what module is producing that
>
>>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

> prompt

I'm pretty sure it's Term::ReadLine:erl. At least, running "test
Term::ReadLine:erl" runs that test.

sherm--

David Combs

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (David Combs) writes:
>
>> Now it's (just after?) "testing",
>>
>> and it keeps asking me:
>>
>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

>Just to pick nits, that's part of the self-test suite for Term::ReadLine,
>which is a module that's specified in Bundle::CPAN.
>
>> QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
>> no more of those
>>
>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

>Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".
>
>sherm--

Thanks for that super-fast response!

OK, I tried that, but no luck.

Probably has to do with my doing the run out of
an emacs *shell*-window.

With luck, you too will be an emacs-user, and will
be able to suggest a way out!

Thanks,

David

PS: any idea what module is producing that

>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

prompt, so I can try to figure out maybe what
I can kludge-up to feed it.

(I'm about to set up a huge egrep to look for
that string -- I haven't found it via a quick
search of the cpan module (I think).)