Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > file upload failing for some users

file upload failing for some users

Larry

I'm running a CGI script that handles uploading a file using
"start_multipart_form" and "filefield". For me and other users, it
works fine, but for 1 user, the script presents the form fine but when
she submits it with the file to upload, it pauses like it's uploading,
but the browser eventually fails with "This page connot be displayed".
If I take the exact same file that she tried to upload and upload it
from home, it works fine.

The file is about 100K and takes only about 20 seconds to upload, so
it's not a browser timeout issue. I had her try several times on
different days... same problem. I even went to her location and tried
it myself... same problem.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of firewall/network oddity
at her location. But if so, what can I do at the server to resolve
that?

Brian Wakem

Larry wrote:

> I'm running a CGI script that handles uploading a file using
> "start_multipart_form" and "filefield". For me and other users, it
> works fine, but for 1 user, the script presents the form fine but when
> she submits it with the file to upload, it pauses like it's uploading,
> but the browser eventually fails with "This page connot be displayed".
> If I take the exact same file that she tried to upload and upload it
> from home, it works fine.
>
> The file is about 100K and takes only about 20 seconds to upload, so
> it's not a browser timeout issue. I had her try several times on
> different days... same problem. I even went to her location and tried
> it myself... same problem.
>
> The only thing I can think of is some sort of firewall/network oddity
> at her location. But if so, what can I do at the server to resolve
> that?

Her ISP may be timing out the connection.

--
Brian Wakem

Larry

A bit more info... here is the exact error message given by Internet
Explorer:

Cannot find server or DNS error.

I have never seen a Perl script trigger that particular browser error.

Ilmari Karonen

Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti 23.06.2005:
> A bit more info... here is the exact error message given by Internet
> Explorer:
>
> Cannot find server or DNS error.
>
> I have never seen a Perl script trigger that particular browser error.

Is the script that receives the file on the same server as the one
that generates the form? If they are, is the action URL in the form
absolute or relative? If absolute, does it have the exact same
hostname as the URL of the form itself?

Or does the upload script perhaps respond with a redirect? That could
cause problems for a number of reasons (hostname differences, browser
implementation of redirected POST requests, etc).

--
Ilmari Karonen
To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.

xhoster@gmail.com

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A bit more info... here is the exact error message given by Internet
> Explorer:
>
> Cannot find server or DNS error.

Is there any problem for which IE does *not* give that error message?

Try it with FireFox and see what error message it gives.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com

Could be an issue where the server "can't find" the last character
(EOF character) of the file.

When you upload it locally, are you on the server?

Can she upload small text files ?

Ilmari Karonen

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti 23.06.2005:
> Could be an issue where the server "can't find" the last character
> (EOF character) of the file.

No. HTTP file upload doesn't work that way.

--
Ilmari Karonen
To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.

gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com

It's not an http thing it's a computer OS thing.

Perhaps you are fortunate enough to do all your stuff on a UNIX
variant - but with Wintel - it can be an issue.

Obviously, the symptoms are one of a "can't find the EOF" issue.
That might not be the cause, but the symptoms match.

Of course if you wanted to make a production out of it you could
download a demo version of LoadRunner, record the http post
case from the local box and then record it from the remote
box and compare the record logs. Then you could view the http
sessions in human readable format.

Sherm Pendley

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> That's a good test... I could have her do that.

What's a good test? You could have who do what?

Please quote enough of the message you're reponding to, for your response
to make sense when viewed by itself. Not everyone is using Google Groups to
access usenet, nor is everyone viewing a hierarchical list of all messages
in a thread.

sherm--

Larry

There is only 1 script... it both generates the form and receives the
file. (It checks the CGI paramters to tell which one it's supposed to
do.) The action URL is absolute but without a hostname... in other
words, it starts with a slash, not "http://".

The upload script does not respond with a redirect... it responds with
"print header;", etc (which generates "Content-type: text/html\n\n")