Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perlis.dll Problem

Perlis.dll Problem

Ninja67

I had read that the perlis.dll was significantly faster than the
perl.exe, so I decided to try it on our IIS server. It does appear to
be faster, but I'm having one major problem. Any code in the scripts
that launches an external process fails. I've tested and confirmed
this. I made a copy of my original script and renamed in with a plx
extension. When I run the .pl version, everything works great. When I
run the .plx version, everything works except the external call.

Is this expected behavior or are there steps I must take to call an
external program when using the dll?

David K. Wall

Ninja67 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I had read that the perlis.dll was significantly faster than the
> perl.exe, so I decided to try it on our IIS server. It does
> appear to be faster, but I'm having one major problem. Any code
> in the scripts that launches an external process fails. I've
> tested and confirmed this. I made a copy of my original script
> and renamed in with a plx extension. When I run the .pl version,
> everything works great. When I run the .plx version, everything
> works except the external call.
>
> Is this expected behavior or are there steps I must take to call
> an external program when using the dll?

If you're using Activestate Perl and exec(), then yes, it is expected
behaviour. See "Windows Quirks" in the ActivePerl FAQ.