Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Design questions: VB6 COM with ASP.NET

Design questions: VB6 COM with ASP.NET

sadams

I recently undertook a project to convert a visual basic 6 application
to an online asp.net application. The business logic of the visual
basic 6 program was written into a DLL. Where the problem arises is
the DLL in created in vb6 needs persist in memory as one object, just
like it would be used on a stand alone vb6 client app. The DLL holds
onto collections of data and other objects that are used again and
again throughout the applications life. One design idea was to
instantiate this DLL using late bounding and hold it in a session
variable. I know this would be problematic though because I would
then have a STA component in a multithreaded apartment environment.
Another way would be to simply import/convert the vb6 code into my
asp.net app, although version control between the two applications
would be harder to maintain. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*

Kevin Spencer

Save yourself a lot of trouble, and rewrite the OCM to a .Net assembly.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"sadams" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently undertook a project to convert a visual basic 6 application
> to an online asp.net application. The business logic of the visual
> basic 6 program was written into a DLL. Where the problem arises is
> the DLL in created in vb6 needs persist in memory as one object, just
> like it would be used on a stand alone vb6 client app. The DLL holds
> onto collections of data and other objects that are used again and
> again throughout the applications life. One design idea was to
> instantiate this DLL using late bounding and hold it in a session
> variable. I know this would be problematic though because I would
> then have a STA component in a multithreaded apartment environment.
> Another way would be to simply import/convert the vb6 code into my
> asp.net app, although version control between the two applications
> would be harder to maintain. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

> Posted at:
> www.GroupSrv.com

Use .Net created dll in VB6? awan ASP .Net 8 10-22-2010 07:59 PM
Upgrading VB6 to C# Corrie Taljaard ASP .Net 2 06-25-2009 02:32 PM
Thunderbird , MAPI & VB6 trixar Firefox 0 12-12-2004 11:27 PM
vb6 v/s .net vipul DotNet ASP .Net 0 01-20-2004 04:29 AM
VB6/VB.Net Programming Question - what am i doing wrong? Salisha Khan ASP .Net 1 08-01-2003 01:55 PM

Advertisments