Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?

yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?

David Combs

Subject: yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?

| 698 ==/dkcjunk==> /me-FIRST-in-PATH-bin/perl-5.8.6/bin/perl5.8.6 -c -w traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl .myalias
| syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
| traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors (#1)
| (F) Probably means you had a syntax error. Common reasons include:
|
| A keyword is misspelled.
| A semicolon is missing.
| A comma is missing.
| An opening or closing parenthesis is missing.
| An opening or closing brace is missing.
| A closing quote is missing.
|
| Often there will be another error message associated with the syntax
| error giving more information. (Sometimes it helps to turn on -w.)
| The error message itself often tells you where it was in the line when
| it decided to give up. Sometimes the actual error is several tokens
| before this, because Perl is good at understanding random input.
| Occasionally the line number may be misleading, and once in a blue moon
| the only way to figure out what's triggering the error is to call
| perl -c repeatedly, chopping away half the program each time to see
| if the error went away. Sort of the cybernetic version of S<20
| questions>.
|
| Uncaught exception from user code:
| syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
| traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors.
| at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 165
| 699 ==/dkcjunk==>

But, here's what's actually at line 112:

aryOfAliasObjRefs[$numAliases++] = $aliasObjRef;

, the error being the missing sigil.

Please add this possiblity to the other six.

Thanks,

David

Anno Siegel

David Combs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Subject: yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?
>
> | 698 ==/dkcjunk==> /me-FIRST-in-PATH-bin/perl-5.8.6/bin/perl5.8.6 -c
> -w traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl .myalias

This causes the output below? I don't see any reference to
"diagnostics" or "splain" that would.

> | syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near
> "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
> | traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors (#1)
> | (F) Probably means you had a syntax error. Common reasons include:
> |
> | A keyword is misspelled.
> | A semicolon is missing.
> | A comma is missing.
> | An opening or closing parenthesis is missing.
> | An opening or closing brace is missing.
> | A closing quote is missing.

[...]

> But, here's what's actually at line 112:
>
> aryOfAliasObjRefs[$numAliases++] = $aliasObjRef;
>
> , the error being the missing sigil.
>
> Please add this possiblity to the other six.

The list above doesn't claim to be complete, as "...reasons include"
indicates. There must be dozens more possible causes for syntax errors
that aren't mentioned. It's a reasonable list of the more frequent
ones. I don't see compelling reason to add more.

Anno