Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Streaming javascript and XP Service Pack 2

Streaming javascript and XP Service Pack 2

Casper Hornstrup

I have an ASP.NET application that imports product descriptions from an
Excel file. The Excel file is uploaded, then a background thread will start
importing the product descriptions from the Excel file. When the Excel file
is uploaded, the user's browser is redirected (using Response.Redirect) to a
new page that will stream some javascript to show the progress of the
import. I do perform a Response.Flush() after each script tag. I've included
the contents of the page with the javascript below. The import can take
several minutes if the Excel file is large. With IE6 on Windows Server 2003
this works fine. Also with IE6 on Windows XP without Service Pack 2 this
works fine. However, with Windows XP with Service Pack 2 this does not work.
The browser does not display the page with the streamed javascript that
shows the progress. It stays on the page where the file upload is done until
it finally displays the "Page cannot be displayed" page. From the logs, I
can see that the redirect is sent to the browser and that the import is
successfully done on the webserver - but the user will never know when it is
done. I have tried putting the website in the trusted sites, but still no
luck. What can I do to resolve this problem?

Casper

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Importerer</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<SCRIPT>
function up(percent) { var e = document.getElementById('divStatus'); if (e)
{ e.innerHTML = percent + ' % færdig...'; } }
</SCRIPT>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.3790.186" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV id=divStatus></DIV>
<SCRIPT>up('0');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('1');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('2');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('3');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('4');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('5');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('6');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('7');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('8');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('9');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('10');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('11');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('12');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('13');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('14');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('15');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('16');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('17');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('18');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('19');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('20');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('21');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('22');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('23');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('24');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('25');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('26');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('27');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('28');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('29');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('30');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('31');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('32');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('33');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('34');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('35');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('36');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('37');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('38');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('39');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('40');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('41');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('42');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('43');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('44');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('45');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('46');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('47');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('48');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('49');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('50');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('51');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('52');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('53');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('54');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('55');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('56');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('57');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('58');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('59');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('60');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('61');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('62');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('63');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('64');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('65');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('66');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('67');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('68');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('69');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('70');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('71');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('72');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('73');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('74');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('75');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('76');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('77');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('78');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('79');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('80');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('81');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('82');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('83');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('84');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('85');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('86');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('87');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('88');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('89');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('90');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('91');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('92');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('93');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('94');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('95');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('96');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('97');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('98');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('99');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>up('100');</SCRIPT>
</SCRIPT><BR><BR><FONT color=blue>Varerne er importeret med
succes.</FONT></BODY></HTML>

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Casper,

Thanks for your posting. As for the problem you mentioned, I've done some
tests based on your description and the code snippet you provided. I also
test on two machines one is w2k3 server IE6 AND another WIN XP with sp2
and IE6. However, it seems that the script can run correctly on my side.
Also, here is a kb article mentioned the script in local html which
reference a local htc or xml file will not work, you may have a look to see
whether it applys:

#Scripts may not run on a local HTML Web page that references .htc or .xml
files in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884322

Also, I'll paste my test page's code at the bottom. You may also have a
test on yourside to see whether it works. Hope helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

================test page (Only the Page_load function in code
behind)========================

{
string strStart = @"<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Importerer</TITLE>" +
"<META http-equiv=Content-Type content='text/html; charset=utf-8'>"+
"<SCRIPT>"+
"function up(percent) { var e = document.getElementById('divStatus'); if
(e)"+
"{ e.innerHTML = percent + ' % finished...'; } }"+
"</SCRIPT>"+
"<META content='MSHTML 6.00.3790.186' name=GENERATOR></HEAD><BODY><DIV
id='divStatus'></DIV>";

Response.ClearContent();
Response.Write(strStart);
Response.Flush();

for(int i=0;i<100;i++)
{
Response.Write("\n<SCRIPT>up('" + i + "');</SCRIPT>");
Response.Flush();

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(500);
}

Response.End();

}

Casper Hornstrup

Hi Steven.

Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure why I didn't notice it before
but there was output an extra </script> tag in my progress page. Removing
that and the XP SP2 machine can also display the progress page. I guess
the new IE is a bit more critical about what it processes. It would be nice
if IE
would tell me that the script is not valid instead of waiting a few minutes
and
display the "Page not found" dialog

Casper

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Casper,
>
> Thanks for your posting. As for the problem you mentioned, I've done some
> tests based on your description and the code snippet you provided. I also
> test on two machines one is w2k3 server IE6 AND another WIN XP with sp2
> and IE6. However, it seems that the script can run correctly on my side.
> Also, here is a kb article mentioned the script in local html which
> reference a local htc or xml file will not work, you may have a look to

see
> whether it applys:
>
> #Scripts may not run on a local HTML Web page that references .htc or .xml
> files in Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884322
>
> Also, I'll paste my test page's code at the bottom. You may also have a
> test on yourside to see whether it works. Hope helps.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Casper,

Thanks for the followup. Glad that the problem is figured out.
Have a good day!