Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Hash String to String/Int

Hash String to String/Int

Alex Banks

Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
algorithm?

e.g. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/in...structure.html
maps to 278HGKJZLKLK23 every time.

I need to be able to map a potentially long string (ie a URL) to a
shorter string (or integer) so I can effectively index a table.

(i'm not worried about the occasional duplicate, i understand it's not
possible to effectively condense every string acturately to a shorter
unique string)

Thanks,

Alex

--

Alex Banks
----------------------

Jay Tilton

Alex Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
: algorithm?

Look at the various Digest:: modules.

Alex Banks

Jay Tilton wrote:
> Alex Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
> : algorithm?
>
> Look at the various Digest:: modules.

Exactly what I need - thanks Jay.

--