Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

JohnCreighton_@hotmail.com

I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came with
apache by typing:
http://192.168.1.1/chi-bin/printenv.pl
It said I wasn't configured properly. I downloaded PXperl, because I
thought I might need a version of perl on my computer. It still
didn't work. I also downloaded mod_perl-1.29 because I thought you
might need this to run perl on apache. I tried installing it by going
to its director in the command prompt and typing:
perl makefile.pl

I get some errors like:
Can't open perl script "\lib/ExtUtils/xsuppp": No such file or
directory.
(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find
"\lib\CORE\perl.h")

I am not sure what the second error means but I know \lib/ExtUtilsxsupp
exists in PXperl. Is it no included in the search path properly of all
perl scripts. How might I included it? I am using windows XP if that
helps.

A. Sinan Unur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1115004509.200330.61950
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
> computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came
> with apache by typing:

Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.

FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
XP has always consisted of two steps for me:

1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
2. Download and install Apache

Optionally,

3. Install mod_perl using ppm

All these steps are "fire and forget".

I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".

Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to get
help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
served in a group dedicated to your web server.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
> XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
>
> 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
> 2. Download and install Apache
>
> Optionally,
>
> 3. Install mod_perl using ppm

If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:

1. Download and install IndigoPerl

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Ron Savage

On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:55:34 +1000, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

Hi Folks

> If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:

Or, if you are intrepid:

http://savage.net.au/Perl/html/upgrade-perl-apache.html

JohnCreighton_@hotmail.com

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> > FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on

Windows
> > XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
> >
> > 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
> > 2. Download and install Apache
> >
> > Optionally,
> >
> > 3. Install mod_perl using ppm

> If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:
>
> 1. Download and install IndigoPerl
>
> http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. I went to the site and found that
they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one. I then tried running the
test files and noticed that the first line in printenv.pl was:
#!c:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
While the first line in helloschi.pl was:
#!perl
I changed the first line in printenv.pl to #!perl and found it worked.
So I guess it was a perl problem not an apache problem =P

The php test worked after uncommenting the dll in the configure file
that they suggested. However mysql.pl didn't work. Oh, well at least
I got something working now. I wonder if I my previous instillation was
correct and all I had to do is change the first line of the test
script. I assume the first line says what prompt command to use to call
perl.

JohnCreighton_@hotmail.com

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1115004509.200330.61950
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
> > computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came
> > with apache by typing:

> Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.
>
> FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on

Windows
> XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
>
> 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
> 2. Download and install Apache
>
> Optionally,
>
> 3. Install mod_perl using ppm
>
> All these steps are "fire and forget".
>
> I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".
>
> Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
> information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to

get
> help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be

better
> served in a group dedicated to your web server.
>
> Sinan
> --
> A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)
>
> comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
> http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html

This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
didn't consider how to run your programs under a given environment a
valid topic of discussions. It is often difficult in some languages to
separate the compiler from the language because often compilers in some
languages come with various extensions of the stands. There are other
issues with regards to efficiency and memory usage in varies methods of
running compiling, interpreting the code of that language.

I went to the rules of the group you suggested and it did not say
specifically, "do not ask question about how to run perl use the
falling class of techniques". It did say, do not use these rules as a
license to flame and I suppose you respected these guidelines. Anyway,
there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a bold
distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what ever
technology that might entail.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:
>>
>> 1. Download and install IndigoPerl
>>
>> http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

> Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. I went to the site and found that
> they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
> mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one.

Is MySQL really included nowadays? I think I installed that separately.

<snip>

> However mysql.pl didn't work.

See above.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
>> served in a group dedicated to your web server.

> This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to
> that didn't consider how to run your programs under a given
> environment a valid topic of discussions.

<snip>

> Anyway, there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a
> bold distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
> trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what
> ever technology that might entail.

I for one agree that there is an exaggerated focus on that distinction.
Note, though, that you don't make many friends here by pointing it out.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Anno Siegel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

> This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
> didn't consider...

If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
things the way you think they should be done.

Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
accomplish anything.

Anno

Tad McClellan

Anno Siegel <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>
>> This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
>> didn't consider...

> If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
> exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
> things the way you think they should be done.
>
> Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
> accomplish anything.

It helps me to save time should he ever return.

That's an accomplishment.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming