Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

JohnCreighton_@hotmail.com

Anno Siegel wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>
> > This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to

that
> > didn't consider...

> If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
> exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
> things the way you think they should be done.
>
> Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
> accomplish anything.
>
> Anno

Thank you for your suggestions. My comments weren't directed at the
whole. It was more an impression I got from a few vocal members while
scanning though some of the other threads in this group. Even the
person that initially responded may only of been trying to be helpful.

However, I do question the tone of the posting guidelines. I understand
the desire to encourage a high quality discussions but to me questions
about a language are the basics and I would think advanced members
would want to move beyond that. It is my understanding that Perl is one
of the easier languages.

There are languages much more mathematically advanced like Haskell. I
wonder if the more basic someone's special knowledge is the more
arrogant they will be towards others that don't know it proficiently.
For instance I posted on a database newsgroup before and I was accused
of being a troll.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...c0e8e150b3bc43

Not to denigrate CS people but a database is just a piece of software.
However, if I post on a group about a more advanced language or
something to do with mathematics then people are much friendlier and
much more helpful.

Anyway, I don't know if I should even respond to you even though you
were friendly, or others who may be being arrogant about how people
should behave in this group. I responded once before recently in
another newsgroup about preconceived assumptions people make when
replying to a post. It completely killed the thread and turned into a
debate about psychological behavior. See:

Object vs type:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...809bf45ee267c6

It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct do as much a
disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject and I can just bite
my tong on each response I disagree with in this regard. I hope my
future posts will be of a much greater interest to this group.

On another note, what I was thinking of using Perl for is a cgi based
game like kings of chaos
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=x8xqj597
but about mars canonization. Rather then rely on Perls object oriented
model to describe the logical relationship between things I was
thinking of using perl to write perl based on a language by my design
that allowed a much richer set of relationships between data then type
and class.

My thought is the simulation should be specified in an almost algebraic
fashion and then Perl would process the text files to create a Perl
representation of the simulation. Here is an intial stab at what such a
meta language might look like. (note hopefully I understand the word
meta language, although ML is a functional programming language, I
think it is also used to mean code that writes code (i.e. meta
programming) forgive my ignorance).

(#1) User_Goup
(%1,#1) PeopleSingular person)discrete)
( ,%2,#1) Nutrition

1<common=(continuous)>

( , ,%3,#1) Energyunits Cal)continuous)

---2<rel=agr_mix, typical{fat=33%, Protein=33%, Crbohydrates=34%}
;;The type of relationship means that there is a typical mix
of aggregate components
;;and information about the metric of the container gives
information about
;;the metric of its constituent parts. Thus storing
information about the constituent parts
;;Isn't strictly necessary, to estimate the constituent parts.
-------3<common=(Energy 5 cal/g)units g),
classname=Food_energy_group>

( , , ,%4,#1) Fat
( , , , ,%5,#2) Omaga3
( , , , , ,#3) Other

1</>2</>3</>

( , , , ,%5,#1) Saturated
( , , , , ,#2) nonsaturated
( , , , , ,#3) transfat
( , , ,%4,#1) End types of Fat
Restart types of Food Energy

( , , ,%4, ) Protein
( , , , , ) Carbohydrates
( , ,%3,#1) End types of Energy Sources
Restart Nutrition Components

( , ,%3, ) Vitamins
( , , , ) Minerals
( ,%2,#1) End Nutrition components
(%1,#1 ) End People Properties
Restart User Group Properties

(#1,#2 ) Shelter #People
(%1, ) birthrate people/day
( , ) FoodProduction cal/day
( ,#5 ) attackBonus strength
( , ) DefenseBonus strength
( , ) Power
( , ) Transportation (meters per day per person)
( , ) RobBonus Strength
( ,#10) SpyBonus Strength
( , ) Moral #/person

I won't elaborate on how I think this should work unless there is
interest. But it should be appetent that trying to create all of these
relationships with Perl would take up much more space. Thus there is
motivation for a more elegant algebraic approach.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on this since I got to
get my electrical engineering maters thesis to finish. My thesis is on
quasilinear Kalman filters. Now an interesting question remains that if
someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
processes the text? I understand that people only have limited time to
learn thing. Thus any other issues should only be discussed in a
summarized fashion. However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual. The true
intellectual is more interested on how knowledge fits together then in
any one piece of knowledge.

Tad McClellan

> It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct

And aren't *you* also attempting to dictate conduct with
these followups?

(albeit in the opposite direction.)

I cannot find any arrogance in this thread (excluding you).

What did you find arrogant?

> disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
> promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

Have you been lurking here for several weeks?

If not, then you are really not yet in a position to judge
what the effect of unbridled application discussions would be.

> Now an interesting question remains that if
> someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
> be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
> processes the text?

Only the Perl issues required to process the text.

The Perl newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming, not for
discussing the myriad application domains where Perl could be used.

That's not to say the such diversions don't occur more or less frequently.

There _are_ newsgroups that are intereted in languages too BTW.

> However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
> discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual.

Failing to care about the proper partitioning of your problem
is more than "somewhat" anti-intellectual. It is plain silly
as it causes you to look for answers in the wrong places.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming