Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > seeking "pure Perl" (no C) database

seeking "pure Perl" (no C) database

jayeckles@gmail.com

I'm looking for a "pure Perl" database module. I'm looking for
something specifically that does not require any type of compilation,
i.e., does not rely on C code. I want something entirely implemented
via .pm files and relying on flat (text or binary) files for data
storage. Basic functionality I seek includes retrieving (select),
modifying (update), adding (insert), and deleting (delete) data. I
don't need a large degree of SQL compliance, nor does SQL even have to
be the mechanism for interacting with the database.

DBD::CSV and SQLite were the first two things I looked at, but they
have compiled components themselves or depend on packages that have
compiled components.

I checked the FAQ and did a quick search on CPAN but didn't find
anything. I also searched usenet via google groups (crippled as it
is).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob Walton

> I'm looking for a "pure Perl" database module. I'm looking for
> something specifically that does not require any type of compilation,
> i.e., does not rely on C code. I want something entirely implemented
> via .pm files and relying on flat (text or binary) files for data
> storage. Basic functionality I seek includes retrieving (select),
> modifying (update), adding (insert), and deleting (delete) data. I
> don't need a large degree of SQL compliance, nor does SQL even have to
> be the mechanism for interacting with the database.
>
> DBD::CSV and SQLite were the first two things I looked at, but they
> have compiled components themselves or depend on packages that have
> compiled components.
>
> I checked the FAQ and did a quick search on CPAN but didn't find
> anything. I also searched usenet via google groups (crippled as it
> is).

Check out the DBI:urePerl module.

--
Bob Walton

jayeckles@gmail.com

Looks like I'd still need a pure Perl DBD driver to go with
DBI:urePerl (as PurePerl only emulates the "real" DBI, not any of the
DBD drivers). Are any of the flat-file DBD drivers pure Perl?

Joonas Timo Taavetti Kekoni

: I'm looking for a "pure Perl" database module.

Why pure perl. Most perl modules depend on compiled stuff.

If you are on windows without C compiler, then you can
install cygwin. It has C compiler and perl.

Or are you rinning on more exotic envitoment like
DOS, or xenix?