Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perl versions and other stuff

perl versions and other stuff

joe.cipale@radisys.com

TO all who responded on my previous thread, thanks! I found the answer
deep in the darl recesses of another Perl book I keep in my office.

Now for YAPQ:
In our test environment, we have a colleciton of RH 7.2 workstations
used to test servers. On some of the workstations, we can launch a
specific test that calls the SNMP/NetSNMP pacakges and the test works
fine.

On others, if we attempt to launch the same test, we get the following
message:
Script started on Tue Apr 26 15:41:59 2005
bash-2.05$ perl -MSNMP -e 'print "$SNMP::VERSION"'
Can't load
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/auto/NetSNMP/default_store/default_store.so'
for module NetSNMP::default_store: libnetsnmp.so.5: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
bash-2.05$ exit

I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact. I
initially thought that there may be a case of 'versionitis' running
rampant, but that is not the case. I thought that it may be a path
issue, but the same user can use the scripts on machine A with no
problem, while machine B results in a compiler error.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe

John Bokma

> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/auto/NetSNMP/default_st
> ore/default_store.so

This file *is* on the machine with problems? Moreover, is it readable?

joe.cipale@radisys.com

said file(s) are located on all machines both good and bad. And yes,
the files are readable.

Joe Smith

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> libnetsnmp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact.

Well, since you did not state where libnetsnmp.so.* live, it looks
like that library (and not a perl module) is missing from your system.
-Joe

joe.cipale@radisys.com

My thanks to all who replied on this thread. It turns out that there is
a bit of system corruption on the machines I alluded to in the earlier
thread.

The siplest fix was to copy the working files/binaries from the good
machines to one of the offending machines. That fixed the problem (so
far). The ultimate fix is a complete system reinstall and rebuild.

Ultimately, I would like to see all of the module files used for
testing located to a NFS mounted server and have users place this in
their path var. This allows a single machine to be used as the source
for all tools and helps to reduce the amount of maintenance required.
Now if I can get managment buyoff to do this.

Joe