Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl on TRIPOD hosted sites..file uploading question..

Reply
Thread Tools

Perl on TRIPOD hosted sites..file uploading question..

 
 
joesplink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL, however there
may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
joesplink wrote:
> www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL, however there
> may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
> host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
> work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
> but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....


You don't have a file uploading question; you have problems with
installing a script. This newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming
matters, not for providing free assistance with installing scripts.

Anyway, this document may provide some useful info:
http://my.execpc.com/~keithp/bdlogcgi.htm

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tad McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
joesplink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> www.tripod.com has free web hosting


> I asked support at TRIPOD about this
> but didn't get a response.



Looks like you got what you paid for.

Anyway, did you mean to ask a Perl question?


--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
joesplink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
TRIPOD has their own version of GCI, called TripodCGI....they don't
provide any documentaton.

They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
no bytes were transferred....

My guess is that they don't support it, and I thought someone on this
group might know.....

I also thought it might be interesting to the general reader that
Tripod provides free web hosting for sites using
Perl................great for learning, experimenting .... but not with
file uploads I think.....

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
joesplink wrote:
> They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
> enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
> no bytes were transferred....


Inspired by Bill's knowledge about Tripod, this seems to be a situation
where a Perl module I just wrote, CGI::UploadEasy, may come in handy.

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CGI%3A%3AUploadEasy

To check it out, follow these steps:

1) Create a subdirectory 'CGI' (case matters) in your cgi-bin and
upload UploadEasy.pm to that directory

2) Upload this script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';
use CGI::UploadEasy;
my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');
my $cgi = $ue->cgiobject;
print $cgi->header, "Done.\n";
__END__

3) Upload a file upload form that invokes the script at submission.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>
> my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');


Oops. That should be:

my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->new(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
joesplink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
>>>>>>>Not exactly. While Tripod DOES have a module called TripodCGI,
it is not a
version of the CGI module, which they also provide.

You are correct (thanks).I was confused, partly because TripodCGI does
contain a param function.

>>>>>>>>They DO provide

documentation for their modules,

Nope. I could quote the almost non-existent TripodCGI documentation,
FWIW, but, it ain't worth much.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ISTM, if there was no error message, you didn't ask

for any.

You are correct again (thanks again). See below.

>>>>>>>They DO support file uploading. You might examine the file

manager interface
to see how they do it.

This doesn't seem germane. I'm trying to upload from my own form.

>>>>..I don't see a Perl question here,


I"VE GOT ONE.... AT LAST..... A PERL QUESTION.....................

As it turns out, my previous efforts were not to the point....and my
current efforts have foundered in a flurry of Perl errors.....

The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
on another host)....
...
my $cgi = new CGI();
my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();

$page->printHeader();

#
# If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
#
if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
DisplayForm();
exit;
}

A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
for them).......

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30

THere are a lot more errors of the same type.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
joesplink wrote:
> The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
> on another host)....
> ..
> my $cgi = new CGI();
> my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();
>
> $page->printHeader();
>
> #
> # If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
> #
> if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
> DisplayForm();
> exit;
> }
>
> A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
> for them).......
>
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
> line 1589.
> Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30
>
> THere are a lot more errors of the same type.
>
> I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.


If you want help with finding out, please post a short but *complete*
program that people can copy and run and that exhibits the problem.

See the posting guidelines for this group:
http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
joesplink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
I see that I've been building on an unsound foundation.... the
following program

#!/usr/bin/perl
use CGI;
$cgi = new CGI;
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello World"; exit();

runs, but produces the error log

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.

And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.

In the words of Marvin Gaye....What is Going On?

 
Reply With Quote
 
A. Sinan Unur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2005
"joesplink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1112826102.868063.165150
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
> line 1589.
>
> And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
> TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
> TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.


The messages above are warnings, not errors.

You might want to figure out the verison of the CGI module you are using.
Then, you can check whether there were bugs in those modules.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>
(reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)

comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASP.Net, PERL and File Uploading getmyemails2@yahoo.com Perl Misc 5 07-23-2006 07:29 PM
ftp uploading vs. control panel uploading Dung Ping HTML 10 01-16-2006 10:43 AM
Perl robot uploading to ASP Web page Lyall Perl Misc 1 09-09-2005 05:50 AM
Perl Help - Windows Perl script accessing a Unix perl Script dpackwood Perl 3 09-30-2003 02:56 AM
Problem uploading file of large size in Perl/Apache/Linux Paresh Shah Perl Misc 1 07-14-2003 05:17 AM



Advertisments