Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl Script

Perl Script

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

> i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
> will

[ job specification snipped ]

> Any help will be appreciated.

You seem to have two options:

1) Start working!

2) Hire a programmer that does the job for you.

If you choose 1), you are welcome to ask for guidance here about
specific problems that you may encounter. But please study the posting
guidelines before you post next time.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

michal.shmueli@gmail.com

i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
will periodically submit search queries (requests) to some websites. so
basically, all these website has some interface which allows the user
to specify some conditions (for example www.cars.com you can search for
used car with specific model and year) and i need to keep the results
locally at my machine. in addition, it seems that the return results
using some frames and some of the websites has results that fit into
many pages. so i need to get ALL the results.
Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
Michal

Tad McClellan

> Subject: Perl Script

Please put the subject of your article in the Subject of your article.

*All* of the (on-topic) posts here are about Perl scripts.

Your choice of subject adds no useful value.

> i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
> will periodically submit search queries (requests) to some websites. so
> basically, all these website has some interface which allows the user
> to specify some conditions (for example www.cars.com you can search for
> used car with specific model and year) and i need to keep the results
> locally at my machine. in addition, it seems that the return results
> using some frames and some of the websites has results that fit into
> many pages. so i need to get ALL the results.

OK, I don't see any problems doing what you've described using Perl.

> Any help will be appreciated.

We would be happy to help, but you did not ask a question.

Did you mean to ask a question?

What part are you stuck on?

What code do you have written so far?

If you have Perl code that is not working, post it here and we will
help you fix it.

Have you searched the Perl FAQ for relevant search terms?

perldoc -q html

How do I fetch an HTML file?

How do I automate an HTML form submission?

A useful tool that can write some of the required Perl code for you:

Web Scraping Proxy

http://www.research.att.com/~hpk/wsp/

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting