Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > memory leak in 5.8.2???

memory leak in 5.8.2???

joe.cipale@radisys.com

I have an application written in Perl/tk that will write a small file
(~128 bytes) to disk. At random intervals, the application is unable to
write ti the disk. No error message is given, the write file is
executed but the trap 'or die...' is not. The OS is RedHat 7.2.

I have checked the amount of disk space (~85% in use of a 40GB HDD) and
this tells me that it isn't a disk spave issue. If I shutdown and let
the server sit for about 20 minutes, then boot it back up, the system
will allow files to be written to disk once again. A couple of possible
explanations have come up:
1 - The OS is runnung out of file handles.
2 - There is a (possible) memory in perl 5.8.x

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

TIA,

Joe

John Bokma

> I have an application written in Perl/tk that will write a small file
> (~128 bytes) to disk. At random intervals, the application is unable
> to write ti the disk. No error message is given, the write file is
> executed but the trap 'or die...' is not. The OS is RedHat 7.2.
>
> I have checked the amount of disk space (~85% in use of a 40GB HDD)
> and this tells me that it isn't a disk spave issue.

Did you check when the program was running?

> If I shutdown and let
> the server sit for about 20 minutes,

Why? To let it cool down? And a shutdown... that sounds like overkill to
me.

> then boot it back up, the system
> will allow files to be written to disk once again.

Programs in general or your script?

How much space does it require?

> A couple of possible
> explanations have come up:
> 1 - The OS is runnung out of file handles.
> 2 - There is a (possible) memory in perl 5.8.x

I think you can remove 2 off that list. If you suspect this, create the
smallest possible script that gives the same problems and post it. But
my best guess is: it's not a memory leaking problem *in* perl. In your
script: maybe, yes.

You can try to create a file (or files) which use rougly the same amount
of disk space. Does that work?

Sisyphus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have an application written in Perl/tk that will write a small file
> (~128 bytes) to disk. At random intervals, the application is unable to
> write ti the disk. No error message is given, the write file is
> executed but the trap 'or die...' is not. The OS is RedHat 7.2.

I assume you mean that you can successfully open() the filehandle to the
file for witing.
Are you checking that the close() of the filehandle is also successful ?

Cheers,
Rob