Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Need help getting start with a test cgi script.

Need help getting start with a test cgi script.

packat

I installed Perl 6 and am running Apache 2.0.39 on Windows
xp (home edition),

I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I put
a simple try.cgi in the directory
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi
Then activate a browser pointing to the address

http://localhost/cgi-bin/try.cgi

But I got path cannot be displayed.

The config file has the line ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
"C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"

Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

Thanks very much,
packat

John Bokma

packat wrote:

> I installed Perl 6

Are you sure about that one?

Tad McClellan

packat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I installed Perl 6

I'm pretty sure that you did not.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

packat

Tad McClellan wrote:
> packat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I installed Perl 6

> I'm pretty sure that you did not.

Ack! I am sorry, it is perl 5.8.4.
Apache is configured the way it should. Perl works fine
except for the CGI part.

thanks,
pac

Trey Waters

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, packat wrote:

> I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I put
> a simple try.cgi in the directory
> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi

> The config file has the line ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"
>
> Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

This question appears to be related to misconfiguring Apache, and should
probably be directed to a group dealing with Apache.

As for your problem:

The above discrepency sticks out for me....I haven't used Apache on Win,
but on Unix the ScriptAlias declaration usually denotes where you put your
CGI scripts; and you stated that you put your CGI script in a different
location than you configured.

Trey Waters (E-Mail Removed)
Experience is the worst teacher.
It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward.

packat

Trey Waters wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, packat wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I
>> put
>> a simple try.cgi in the directory
>> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi

>> The config file has the line ScriptAlias cgi-bin
>> "C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"
>>
>> Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

> This question appears to be related to misconfiguring
> Apache, and
> should probably be directed to a group dealing with
> Apache.
>
> As for your problem:
>
> The above discrepency sticks out for me....I haven't used
> Apache on
> Win, but on Unix the ScriptAlias declaration usually
> denotes where
> you put your CGI scripts; and you stated that you put your
> CGI script
> in a different location than you configured.
> \

I did try both SCRIPTALIAS configuration. Also restart
Apache each time.
Well, I also believe hte root cause is probably Apache
config.
Thanks for your comment,
pac

> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> Trey Waters
> (E-Mail Removed) Experience is
> the worst
> teacher. It always gives the test first and the
> instruction
> afterward.

I need some help with browser output in ruby cgi - cgi.rb Professor Chen Ruby 0 02-06-2006 07:08 AM
PROCESS.START Help - Need to start app that listens on a port Lucas Tam ASP .Net 0 06-17-2005 02:09 PM
TEST TEST TEST Gazwad Computer Support 2 09-05-2003 07:32 PM
CGI module: getting cgi params from text file redirected to script run on the commandline fatted Perl Misc 1 07-25-2003 01:44 AM