Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > PPM not working

PPM not working

Doug Wells

I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
never loaded a module without PPM.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

Jin Sun

This what I've done for the similar problem. Hope this may help.

Go to you internet browser (e.g. IE), choose tools/internet
options/connections, in LAN settings, check Proxy server and put proxy
server name and port there. Set an enviromential variable
HTTP_proxy="http://proxyservernameort". In ppm, type search * and wait for
a while(be patient), it's going to return a list.

"Doug Wells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CQ_Zd.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
> PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
> search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
> be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
> and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
> never loaded a module without PPM.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions?
> Thanks
> Doug

Doug Wells

Jin Sun wrote:

> This what I've done for the similar problem. Hope this may help.
>
> Go to you internet browser (e.g. IE), choose tools/internet
> options/connections, in LAN settings, check Proxy server and put proxy
> server name and port there. Set an enviromential variable
> HTTP_proxy="http://proxyservernameort". In ppm, type search * and
> wait for a while(be patient), it's going to return a list.
>
> "Doug Wells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CQ_Zd.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
> > PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when
> > I search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it
> > could be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I
> > turned it off and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file
> > from CPAN, but have never loaded a module without PPM.
> >
> > Can anyone offer suggestions?
> > Thanks
> > Doug

Thanks for the response. That didn't work for me, but I'll play around
with that concept.
Doug

Ken

You can download ppms from activestate directly from:
http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackag...-only/Windows/

After downloading a activestate ppm, unzip it then just run the ppd file
through ppm:
ppm c:/path/to/module-name.ppd

The problem with this is that activestate does not have a ppm for
XML::Simple. Don't worry, you can get it here:
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/XML-Simple.ppd

Note that the above ppm is going to try pulling the module from the
theoryx5 site, so if you have a firewall problem it may still fail. In
that case, you can download the module from:
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/XML-Simple.tar.gz

Then edit the XML-Simple.ppd file. Change this line:

<CODEBASE HREF="http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/XML-Simple.tar.gz" />

To this:

<CODEBASE HREF="XML-Simple.tar.gz" />

Then run the newly edited ppd file through ppm (making sure
XML-Simple.tar.gz is the same directory as XML-Simple.ppd)

- Ken

Doug Wells wrote:
> I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
> PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
> search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
> be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
> and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
> never loaded a module without PPM.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions?
> Thanks
> Doug

Sisyphus

Doug Wells wrote:
> I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
> PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
> search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
> be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
> and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
> never loaded a module without PPM.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions?

Ships as standard with ActiveState perl - which is probably why they
don't have a ppm package for it.

Anyway - if you're running AS perl, you already have XML-Simple.

Cheers,
Rob

Bob Walton

Doug Wells wrote:

> I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
> PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
> search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
> be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
> and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
> never loaded a module without PPM.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions?
> Thanks
> Doug

One common reason for PPM not working is if one upgraded from
Perl 5.6.x to 5.8.x without first uninstalling and deleting all
of 5.6.x. If you have done that, the easiest fix that I know if
is to uninstall and completely delete 5.8.x and then reinstall
5.8.x. As far as I know everything but PPM will work if you
upgrade 5.6.x with 5.8.x without uninstalling.

HTH.
--
Bob Walton