Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perlpod/perldoc Q: I want asterisk bullets

perlpod/perldoc Q: I want asterisk bullets

J Krugman

I'm writing a POD page, and I want my itemized lists to use asterisks
for bullets, like this:

* first item

* second item

* etc., etc.

So I write my POD source like this:

=over

=item *

first item

=item *

second item

=item *

etc., etc.

=back

But, when I run perldoc on my POD file, what I see on the screen is

o first item

o second

o etc., etc.

What's really annoying is that all the other POD pages installed
on my system (e.g. perlpod.pod) use the exact same POD source code
(i.e. "=item *", etc.) as what I'm using, and yet when these other
pages are displayed, the lists have asterisks, not o's for bullets.

What's going on here?

TIA!

jill

--
To s&e^n]d me m~a}i]l r%e*m?o\v[e bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

J Krugman

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Abigail <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>J Krugman ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote on MMMMCCVII September
>MCMXCIII in <URL:news:d0kand$f5q$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

> I'm writing a POD page, and I want my itemized lists to use asterisks
> for bullets, like this:
>
> * first item
>
> * second item
>
> * etc., etc.
>
> So I write my POD source like this:
>
> =over
>
> =item *
>
> first item
>
> =item *
>
> second item
>
> =item *
>
> etc., etc.
>
> =back
>
> But, when I run perldoc on my POD file, what I see on the screen is
>
> o first item
>
> o second
>
> o etc., etc.
>
> What's really annoying is that all the other POD pages installed
> on my system (e.g. perlpod.pod) use the exact same POD source code
> (i.e. "=item *", etc.) as what I'm using, and yet when these other
> pages are displayed, the lists have asterisks, not o's for bullets.

>It might help to tell us what pod translator you used (pod2man, pod2text,
>pod2html, something else), what version of the tool you used, what version
>of Perl you used, and to gives us a small POD sample that exhibits the
>same problem.

I used the perldoc executable that came with perl v5.8.4, as in

% perldoc readme.pod

The perl used is v5.8.4. As for an example, what I already posted
is pretty much it. On the screen it looks like this:

README(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation README(1)

o first item

o second item

o etc., etc.

perl v5.8.4 2005-03-08 README(1)

What's puzzling me is that when I use the same programs (perl/perldoc
v5.8.4) to display a pod file (e.g. the perlpod.pod file included
in the Perl distribution) that uses the exact same directives for
its bullets as I use, the displayed bullets are asterisks, not o's.

I need to play some more with this to pinpoint the problem more
precisely.

jill

--
To s&e^n]d me m~a}i]l r%e*m?o\v[e bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

J Krugman

OK, here's an example that exhibits some annoying behavior:

=over

=item *

whatever:

=over

=item *

first item

=item *

second item

=item *

etc., etc.

=back

=back

It looks like this when displayed using perl/perldoc v5.8.4:

TEST(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation TEST(1)

o whatever:

o first item

o second item

o etc., etc.

perl v5.8.4 2005-03-08 TEST(1)

If I change the very first =item line in the source to

=item ?

where ? stands for anything other than *, the outer bullet is
rendered as ? (whatever it is) and the inner bullets are rendered
as *'s. But I have not found the incantation to render all bullets
as *'s.

jill

--
To s&e^n]d me m~a}i]l r%e*m?o\v[e bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

Sisyphus

J Krugman wrote:
> OK, here's an example that exhibits some annoying behavior:
>
> =over
>
> =item *
>
> whatever:
>
> =over
>
> =item *
>
> first item
>
> =item *
>
> second item
>
> =item *
>
> etc., etc.
>
> =back
>
> =back
>

> It looks like this when displayed using perl/perldoc v5.8.4:
>

> TEST(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation TEST(1)
>

> o whatever:
>
> o first item
>
> o second item
>
> o etc., etc.
>

> perl v5.8.4 2005-03-08 TEST(1)

Try calling perldoc with the -t switch (calls pod2text). Fixes it for me
- though I don't know how that relates to what you're doing.

My guess is that when you call these other pod files, you're using
pod2text (somehow), and when you call your own pod file you're not using
pod2text (somehow).

Cheers,
Rob

Cheers,
Rob

Steven Kuo

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, J Krugman wrote:

> OK, here's an example that exhibits some annoying behavior:
>
> =over
>
> =item *
>
> whatever:
>
> =over
>
> =item *
>
> first item
>
> =item *
>
> second item
>
> =item *
>
> etc., etc.
>
> =back
>
> =back
>

> It looks like this when displayed using perl/perldoc v5.8.4:
>

> TEST(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation TEST(1)
>

> o whatever:
>
> o first item
>
> o second item
>
> o etc., etc.
>

> perl v5.8.4 2005-03-08 TEST(1)
>

> If I change the very first =item line in the source to
>
> =item ?
>
> where ? stands for anything other than *, the outer bullet is
> rendered as ? (whatever it is) and the inner bullets are rendered
> as *'s. But I have not found the incantation to render all bullets
> as *'s.
>
> jill

Try using the null formating code for the first bullet (see perldoc
perlpod):

=over

=item Z<>*

whatever:

=over

=item *

first item

etc.

Works here (v5.8.6 built for sun4-solaris).

--
Hope this helps,
Steven

List item bullets Paul Lautman HTML 15 12-31-2006 12:42 AM
Bullets overlapping image aligned to left ComputerSnack HTML 7 04-13-2006 01:57 AM
Bullets not rendering properly babz XML 0 06-27-2005 06:57 AM
html unordered list bullets? jmcckz NZ Computing 2 10-07-2004 12:38 AM
Datagrid and bullets Bob H ASP .Net 1 02-05-2004 01:26 PM

Advertisments