Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla splash screen

Mozilla splash screen

Walter Donavan

Is there a way to turn it off? (I know. Picky, picky. But it bugs me.)

Moz Champion

Walter Donavan wrote:

> Is there a way to turn it off? (I know. Picky, picky. But it bugs me.)

Hmmm.

Heres how to change it
On Windows, the splash screen is a bitmap image (Windows .bmp format). To use another image, save it as mozilla.bmp into the same folder as mozilla.exe. You can use an image of any size.

Changing the splash screen in Macintosh or Unix/Linux currently requires recompiling Mozilla with the new splash screen included.

But thats not quite what you asked was it?

The command line entry allows you to completely suppress the splash screen

-nosplash or -quiet
Suppresses display of the splash screen. To show splash screen, use the -splash command. Note the splash screen is disabled by default on some systems.

So you have a choice as it were, you can change the splash screen to a more pleasing image (a blank image? maybe?) or you can use a command line entry to suppress it completely.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

maxo

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 09:47:42 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

> Changing the splash screen in Macintosh or Unix/Linux currently requires
> recompiling Mozilla with the new splash screen included.

au contraire! I forget the exact method, but I've done it before for
regular Moz--you basically just throw the image into your ~/.mozilla
directory and name it splash.xpm (not sure exactly what you call it) ,
and mozilla uses your image instead of the default.

Walter Donavan

maxo wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 09:47:42 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:
>

>>Changing the splash screen in Macintosh or Unix/Linux currently requires
>>recompiling Mozilla with the new splash screen included.

> au contraire! I forget the exact method, but I've done it before for
> regular Moz--you basically just throw the image into your ~/.mozilla
> directory and name it splash.xpm (not sure exactly what you call it) ,
> and mozilla uses your image instead of the default.

But I meant for Windows! (I should have said so.)

Walter Donavan

Moz Champion wrote:

> Walter Donavan wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to turn it off? (I know. Picky, picky. But it bugs me.)

> Hmmm.
>
> Heres how to change it
> On Windows, the splash screen is a bitmap image (Windows .bmp format).
> To use another image, save it as mozilla.bmp into the same folder as
> mozilla.exe. You can use an image of any size.
>
> Changing the splash screen in Macintosh or Unix/Linux currently requires
> recompiling Mozilla with the new splash screen included.
>

> But thats not quite what you asked was it?
>
> The command line entry allows you to completely suppress the splash screen
>
> -nosplash or -quiet
> Suppresses display of the splash screen. To show splash screen, use the
> -splash command. Note the splash screen is disabled by default on some
> systems.
>
> So you have a choice as it were, you can change the splash screen to a
> more pleasing image (a blank image? maybe?) or you can use a command
> line entry to suppress it completely.

Ain't got no splash screen graphic (.bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg) in my
Windows Mozilla folder. But not to worry.

"-splash" works great. I changed my shortcuts.

Thanks!

maxo

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:04:41 -0400, Walter Donavan wrote:

> But I meant for Windows! (I should have said so.)

Well, the profile directory isn't in the same place as linux, but the
concept works exactly the same.

Walter Donavan

maxo wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:04:41 -0400, Walter Donavan wrote:
>

>>But I meant for Windows! (I should have said so.)

> Well, the profile directory isn't in the same place as linux, but the
> concept works exactly the same.

I got it working. I needed to use "-nosplash" instead of "-splash".

Re: creating Dyanamic splash screen Peter Jausovec ASP .Net 0 03-12-2005 01:23 PM
Mozilla - Splash Screen Nigel Stapley Firefox 5 07-16-2004 08:42 PM
Splash Screen adam Firefox 3 04-07-2004 06:56 PM
Turn Of the Splash Screen? Bongo Firefox 5 12-21-2003 10:53 PM
Can't change splash screen in Mozilla 1.5 Holodoc Firefox 3 11-25-2003 07:48 PM

Advertisments