Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > fetching REMOTE_USER

fetching REMOTE_USER

JrK

Hi,

I want to get the value for users once authenticated by apache with the
digest method in perl.
The directory the webpage belongs to is password protected and requires a
valid user
created with htpasswd2. The webserver is apache2 with mod_perl-1.29

The environment variable REMOTE_USER hasn't any value, so may there are any
other
recommendations on how to identify users easyly with perl ?

TIA,
Jrk.

Brian Wakem

JrK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to get the value for users once authenticated by apache with the
> digest method in perl.
> The directory the webpage belongs to is password protected and requires a
> valid user
> created with htpasswd2. The webserver is apache2 with mod_perl-1.29
>
> The environment variable REMOTE_USER hasn't any value, so may there are
> any other
> recommendations on how to identify users easyly with perl ?
>

> TIA,
> Jrk.

Try

use CGI;
my $query = new CGI;
my $user = $query->remote_user();

--
Brian Wakem

Sherm Pendley

JrK wrote:

> created with htpasswd2. The webserver is apache2 with mod_perl-1.29
>
> The environment variable REMOTE_USER hasn't any value, so may there are
> any other recommendations on how to identify users easyly with perl ?

Since you're using mod_perl -

my $user = Apache->request()->connection()->user();

Or, as another posted mentioned, if you're using CGI.pm you could use its
remote_user() method.

sherm--