Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Annoying Problem with a Basic Perl app and XP Pro

Annoying Problem with a Basic Perl app and XP Pro

Tad McClellan

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> SOOOooo with all your gripes over simple errors in the post Nobody
> bothered to look at where it actually
> had a problem:

That's because the code was not Perl.

Review the angst and unhelpfulness evident in this thread.

Notice that none of it would have happened if you had posted
Real Perl code.

Maybe you should consider posting Real Code in the future to
avoid such silliness?

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Tad McClellan

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Never used XP Home eh? then how can you effectivley Answer my
> problem/question?

_Nobody_ can help with your problem, because nobody can
see the code that you are running.

> So I am a troll eh?

Yes, that is patently obvious.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Tad McClellan

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> being the reminder to use
> [ use warnings ] which got me on the right track.

You could have been on the right track in seconds if you had...

--

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't think I will be back..

Thank you.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas

Jonathan Stowe

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If your [Exhausted] from reading less then 2 pages of code,
> How the heck can you debug 10K lines worth of Code?
> I work with programs that contain more then 500 seperate documents
> (each a C++ .h or .cc file)

My heart bleeds for you.

> and your complaing about less then TWO pages Heavily Commented??

Yes but there is a difference between doing this for a job and doing it
as a favour to someone on a newsgroup.

/J\

arek

Umm... in what way did I NOT post what I was using?
I did my BEST to make sure I provided sufficient information to ask for
help
with what appeared to be an issue between to versions of Windows with
the same code.

What I got was a bunch of arguments about the Code posted being full of
errors.
What the posting contained was the Exact same code with 3 glitches that
occured
during the initial Posting.

With further browsing of the Thread, you will find several had actually
gotten it to compile,
which means the Code was functional. SO where did I NOT post the code?

Your response falls among the many others that would rather Argue and
NitPick then Help!

Any decent programmer would merely have chuckled at the MINOR glitches
in the Posted
code, fixed them and looked at where I might be having problems. Few
did. No problems
with pointing out Style concerns, but as that was ALL some posted,
those in my Opinion
were wasted bandwidth.

Further posts as yours above merely turn away possible usefull
participants in what should
be a good natured and civil attempt to help each other.

arek

A favor is exactly all I asked for, not groaning that the Code is
Crap.
If your not interested in helping someone with a problem, you shouldn't
even post.
I help loads of people in different forums. I also refrain from
posting Garbage.

I don't refrain from defending myself tho.

The above posts were directed at someone groaning about something they
didn't really seem to care to Help with, just point out that my Coding
of it was crap.

IF it was so Crappy, it wouldn't have worked in the first place. As
with ANY application
you start with it HEAVILY commented to help you remember WHAT you were
doing
Documentation of Code is a must, and if my documenting is Garbage as
Some have
said, I really would DREAD having to work on any Code they wrote.

Most people that post here for help are NOT going to be extreme coding
Guru's in the
section they are asking for help. Expecting 100% clean and perfect
code is Ridiculous!

Thus if you do nothing but point out those errors and do no actual help
with the code,
your actually defeating the purpose of such groups.

arek

Hmm... So the Perl Code I posted,
Which I had modified from another Authors Code that
has been heavily involved in Perl for years WAS NOT PERL CODE?

YOU make me Laugh!

Peter Wyzl

"arek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> One Note to other users of Perl:
>
> XP Pro is far more strict in access to files and other things then XP
> Home...
> Be careful when writing apps and testing them on one then trying to run
> them on another
>
> What may run without problems on XP Home, may not necessarily run on XP
> Pro.
>
> The actual problem was in Accessing File Attributes in XP Pro...
> XP Pro requires Opening the File Before attempting to read Attributes..

That is simply not true. If you believe it to be so, post a short (10 lines
or so) working program that demonstrates a requirement to open a file before
stat will work.

I use XP Pro with both fat32 and NTFS. I have never needed to open a file
to stat it.

Maybe you have some other problem?

print "Just another Perl hacker\n";

Tad McClellan

arek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hmm... So the Perl Code I posted,
> Which I had modified from another Authors Code that
> has been heavily involved in Perl for years WAS NOT PERL CODE?

If it has syntax errors then it is not Perl.

> YOU make me Laugh!

I'm crushed, since I value your opinion so highly.