Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Google Groups and indentations

Google Groups and indentations

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I saw an article posted via google rather by accident (I
>> only saw the follow-up and then wanted to look up the parent, too). I
>> did notice the indentation but wanted to have more evidence that this
>> has really been fixed.
>>
>> Apparently it has so I can remove the killfile entry again. Others
>> will follow, I am sure.

> I noticed it too, I think at least a week back. There is still some
> weird artifacts that show up if you view with google, but they are not
> there with other news readers or even google's show original option.
>
> I don't know if I really believe this whole 'killfile' thing. I think
> it's a myth, like skinny people saying that they don't watch what they
> eat. I think that the temptation to see what dumb newbies like me and
> worse are posting is too great to filter out. How boring would it be
> just to read the proper postings?

It was certainly not a myth in my case. Also, it's not necessarily about
clueless posters but simply about postings with scrambled code snippets
that I cannot be bothered to decipher.

> People could write a filter that runs code in usenet postings through
> perltidy just so all formatting is to their liking.

It's not that there wouldn't be enough other postings in this group.
Still plenty to read if a certain amount of them disappears.

Apart from that, a perltidy filter isn't as easy as it may appear. First
you have to identify which parts are code and which are text. They are
usually interleaved. Furthermore, you have to deal with long lines,
especially comments at the end of the line that wrap around. Perltidy
cannot handle this.

> This would be a great feature to be built into a Perl newsreader, a
> program-as-module built on CGI::Application or something like that.

Go ahead. I'll promise to use it when it's better than slrn.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;

jl_post@hotmail.com

I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
finally allowing indentations to be preserved.

Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

(I'm sure this is a change that the Python newsgroups really
appreciate, as well...

Brian McCauley

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
> finally allowing indentations to be preserved.
>
> Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
> having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

Yippee.

But since many of the most knowledgible people have killfiled google
there's still cause to avoid it. This is a pitty because I post via
Google about 15% of the time.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Brian McCauley:

ioneabu@yahoo.com

Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:

> Yesterday I saw an article posted via google rather by accident (I

only
> saw the follow-up and then wanted to look up the parent, too). I did
> notice the indentation but wanted to have more evidence that this has
> really been fixed.
>
> Apparently it has so I can remove the killfile entry again. Others

will
> follow, I am sure.

I noticed it too, I think at least a week back. There is still some
weird artifacts that show up if you view with google, but they are not
there with other news readers or even google's show original option.

I don't know if I really believe this whole 'killfile' thing. I think
it's a myth, like skinny people saying that they don't watch what they
eat. I think that the temptation to see what dumb newbies like me and
worse are posting is too great to filter out. How boring would it be
just to read the proper postings?

People could write a filter that runs code in usenet postings through
perltidy just so all formatting is to their liking.

This would be a great feature to be built into a Perl newsreader, a
program-as-module built on CGI::Application or something like that.

wana