Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > I will pay for perl help

I will pay for perl help

Lila Duncan

Hi,
I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was having
but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them.
My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the use of
perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives don't
seem to be working for me at present. Maybe it's because the originals were
written to be run on a unix-like system and I'm running win-xp.
Anyway I've tried various modifications but so far I don't have enough
skill to overcome the problems.
I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay by
PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.

My address is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Remove 'XSPAM' to mail me.
--
Lila Duncan

A. Sinan Unur

Lila Duncan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay
> by PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.

http://jobs.perl.org/

Lila Duncan

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:32:45 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lila Duncan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay
>> by PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.

>http://jobs.perl.org/

Thanks for the reply. I went to the site and entered my email and name to
open an account. It didn't specifically announce that it would send me a
confirming email but I,m waiting for one expectantly.
--
Lila Duncan

ioneabu@yahoo.com

Lila Duncan wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
> documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
> I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
> I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was

having
> but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them.
> My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
> I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
> I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the

use of
> perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives

don't
> seem to be working for me at present.

What happened when you tried his files that made you think that they
did not work?

Look at http://search.cpan.org/ and type in the word 'ebay' and search
for any relevent Perl modules. There are a few things that come up
that could be exactly what you need. Even if you pay someone else to
do the work, it might help to be as informed as possible about what
needs to be done. It might be trivially easy, maybe even worth
learning a little Perl. Good luck!

wana

>Maybe it's because the originals were
> written to be run on a unix-like system and I'm running win-xp.
> Anyway I've tried various modifications but so far I don't have

enough
> skill to overcome the problems.
> I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay

by
> PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.
>
> My address is: (E-Mail Removed)
> Remove 'XSPAM' to mail me.
> --
> Lila Duncan

Lila Duncan

On 27 Jan 2005 21:37:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Lila Duncan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
>> documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
>> I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
>> I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was

>having
>> but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them.
>> My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
>> I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
>> I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the

>use of
>> perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives

>don't
>> seem to be working for me at present.

>What happened when you tried his files that made you think that they
>did not work?

I get errors that I believe are related to the original file being
structured for use on a unix-like system.
The initial errors refer to not finding the path to a "search results"
text file.
I've tried a number of suggestions for delimiter and quote variations on
this pathname, to the extent that the script moves on 15 lines or so.
The next error seems to be referring once again to problems with the
earlier pathname.

>Look at http://search.cpan.org/ and type in the word 'ebay' and search
>for any relevent Perl modules. There are a few things that come up
>that could be exactly what you need.

Thanks I'd already downloaded one WWW-Search-Ebay module using PMM.
I followed the link you gave and see that there are a number of others
there. Also, much more detailed information on these and the one I already
have installed, so thanks very much for that.

> Even if you pay someone else to
>do the work, it might help to be as informed as possible about what
>needs to be done. It might be trivially easy, maybe even worth
>learning a little Perl. Good luck!

The book I was reading which introduced me to the idea of using Perl did
it in a way that kind of sneaked Perl up on me and pretended it was a piece
of cake. I might 've taken flight on seeing the errors and potential errors
coming over the horizon, had it not been for the realisation that Perl
could be a big help in more ways than making eBay searches easier and more
productive.
I'm currently finding and starting to read a lot of documentation. It
already looks like I'm in for the long haul.

Thanks for the encouragement.
--
Lila Duncan