Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > globs, ref globs, and lexically scoped filehandles

globs, ref globs, and lexically scoped filehandles

Alex Hart

2 questions, but somewhat related.

What is the rule for when it's possible to use a glob, and when it's
possible to use a ref glob. Can they always be used interchangably? The
docs seem a little vague on this. Is this a property of the glob, or of
the function being called?

Also, concerning lexically scoped filehandles (which is really a ref
glob, right?), can these be used anywhere a filehandle would be used
(i.e. will they be auto-vivicated anywhere a file handle is expected?).
I always see the example with open, but what about sysopen, or accept,
or bind, or anything else. Can I always use a undefined scalar in these
functions?

Thanks.

- Alex Hart