Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > upgrade perl without reinstalling all modules?

upgrade perl without reinstalling all modules?

peter pilsl

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ. I searched the docs and did not find any
satisfying answer.

When upgrading my perl, is it possible to upgrade without need to remake
all my thousends selfinstalled modules that depend on each other and
will take me a day to find and reinstall.

I've asked myself this question very often (every time I wanted to upgrade)

In my actual case I only want to upgrade from 5.8.5 to 5.8.6 to get some
of the utf8-bugfixes. Is it possible just to set a symlink from
perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 to perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 ?

As far as I understand under perl/site_perl/VERSION are all the
user-installed modules and under perl/VERSION are all the core-modules
that comes with perl itself.

What can happen on such a minor upgrade (5.8.6 is only a bugfix to
5.8.5)? What about major upgrades (from 5.6.x to 5.8.x) ?
I dont ask about upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, cause this will be a bigger
project then, needing a lot of brain-upgrade as well

Any short tips and deep-insight-explanations are highly appretiated,
thnx,
peter

--
http://www2.goldfisch.at/know_list

Andy Hassall

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:20:01 +0100, peter pilsl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When upgrading my perl, is it possible to upgrade without need to remake
>all my thousends selfinstalled modules that depend on each other and
>will take me a day to find and reinstall.
>
>I've asked myself this question very often (every time I wanted to upgrade)
>
>In my actual case I only want to upgrade from 5.8.5 to 5.8.6 to get some
>of the utf8-bugfixes. Is it possible just to set a symlink from
>perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 to perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 ?
>
>As far as I understand under perl/site_perl/VERSION are all the
>user-installed modules and under perl/VERSION are all the core-modules
>that comes with perl itself.
>
>What can happen on such a minor upgrade (5.8.6 is only a bugfix to
>5.8.5)? What about major upgrades (from 5.6.x to 5.8.x) ?
>I dont ask about upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, cause this will be a bigger
>project then, needing a lot of brain-upgrade as well
>
>Any short tips and deep-insight-explanations are highly appretiated,

Here's the end of my perl -V :

Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
Built under linux
Compiled at Dec 4 2004 01:59:15
@INC:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i586-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i586-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i586-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl