Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > converting perl to sed/ C shell ?

converting perl to sed/ C shell ?

surfunbear@yahoo.com

I had some resistance at work because our support team uses sed, but I
wrote some perl code. I have been trying to argue my case and win them
over, not sure if they are interested in learning perl or bettering
themselves technically in that regard.

If I get stuck, I am wondering if there is some transaltion utilities
to translate perl pattern matching expressions to sed expressions where
possible as well as maybe translating simple perl
scripts to c shell. That way I could develop what I need to in perl in
such a way as to convert it to sed/c shell when I am done. Maybe I
could convince them that the resulting generated srcipts are harder to
work with than the original perl, something like that.

Chris Mattern

> I had some resistance at work because our support team uses sed, but I
> wrote some perl code. I have been trying to argue my case and win them
> over, not sure if they are interested in learning perl or bettering
> themselves technically in that regard.
>
> If I get stuck, I am wondering if there is some transaltion utilities
> to translate perl pattern matching expressions to sed expressions where
> possible as well as maybe translating simple perl
> scripts to c shell. That way I could develop what I need to in perl in
> such a way as to convert it to sed/c shell when I am done. Maybe I
> could convince them that the resulting generated srcipts are harder to
> work with than the original perl, something like that.

Scripting in C Shell? Nooooo.....

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

If you have a commercial UNIX, you almost certainly have ksh. If you
have a free UNIX/UNIX-clone, you almost certainly have bash. Use them.

In any case, you can't automatically translate from perl to a shell
+ sed, because perl is a superset of that. You can do too many things
in perl you can't do in a shell + sed.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Tad McClellan

> I had some resistance at work because our support team uses sed, but I
> wrote some perl code. I have been trying to argue my case and win them
> over, not sure if they are interested in learning perl or bettering
> themselves technically in that regard.

There is a mailing list for discussion of getting more
folks to use Perl:

http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=advocacy

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting