Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Opening pictures a problem in Firefox 0.91

Opening pictures a problem in Firefox 0.91

Ace Pope

I just downloaded Firefox 0.91 and find it's doing the same annoying
thing that the other Mozilla does--when i click on a link to view a
picture, usually a JPG file, it asks me how to open the file, instead
of just opening it automatically. I see there is a box you can click
telling it to do this automatically with all files of this type. I
click the box, but it STILL asks me how to open it every time! And I
went to Tools-Options to set it to use Irfanview to open the file, and
it STILL asks me how to open it every time!

It's very annoying not only to have to take an extra step, but also
because opening a picture opens a new blank Mozilla window every time,
in addition to the IrfanView window that opens. THis gets very
annoying when you are looking at a lot of pictures. You have to keep
closing empty windows.

Why can't it behave like IE does? I hate IE, but at least it just
opens the damn picture every time, without a problem.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Hawkeye

I have no problem viewing images. Make sure you have
Tools/Options/Web Features/Load Images checked.

David Harrison

On 7/3/2004 2:45 AM, Ace Pope said:

> Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Perhaps Firefox has lost the mime type information needed to handle the
jpg files? I've had jpg helper application info go missing before on the
Moz suite for no apparent reason...

I don't know if Firefox lets you add helper applications, though you can
in the Moz suite...

cheers,

David H

Ace Pope

Thanks. Well the problem seems to have solved itself...first time I
used it i had the problem, after that, not.