Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > differences

differences

Robin

What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess. I have just
installed suse linux 9.1 personal and am wondering how to get a hold of perl
modules and then install them. Let me know if this will be a problem for
some of you to answer or not. Anyway, thanks in advance.
-also I need beta testers for the script at
www.infusedlight.net/cgi-bin/bbs.pl - please be kind.

--
Robin

Tintin

"Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
> different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
> reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess. I have just
> installed suse linux 9.1 personal and am wondering how to get a hold of
> perl modules and then install them.

Exactly the same way as any other Linux system (unless you use RPM's or
equivalent) that is mentioned in the Perl FAQ.

Let me know if this will be a problem for
> some of you to answer or not. Anyway, thanks in advance.
> -also I need beta testers for the script at
> www.infusedlight.net/cgi-bin/bbs.pl - please be kind.

Nah. We need to be brutely honest.

You *still* haven't taken notice of all the advice given to you in the past.

1. No 'use strict'
2. Wierd formatting of the code.
3. Calling subroutines with an &
4. Not declaring variables in the smallest scope.
5. No error checking on various functions like 'unlink'

Not sure if anyone previously mentioned the use of 'unless' to make code
clearer, but I'll mentioned it here.

Most people tend to think that:

unless (condition) {

reads better than

if (! condition) {

Arndt Jonasson

"Tintin" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Not sure if anyone previously mentioned the use of 'unless' to make code
> clearer, but I'll mentioned it here.
>
> Most people tend to think that:
>
> unless (condition) {
>
> reads better than
>
> if (! condition) {

"Unless ..." is probably usually better English prose than "if not
....", but programming code isn't prose. Maybe it's worth while
pointing out that there are many natural languages in which the
English word "unless" does not have a one-word equivalent.

It can still be considered more idiomatic _Perl_, of course.

Michele Dondi

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:18:32 -0700, "Robin" <webmaster @
infusedlight.net> wrote:

>Subject: differences

Extremely bad chosen Subject. Include in you subject line what your
post is really about.

>What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
>different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
>reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess. I have just

Huh?!? I can hardly grasp the syntax of the question -provided that
this is actually a question, for it's so convoulted that I'm not sure
(and OTOH I cannot see any question mark)- let alone the semantic.

So you want to know which are the differences between Linux and
Windows as far as something having to do with perl and execution times
is concerned, don't you? But... which is the actual question?!?

>installed suse linux 9.1 personal and am wondering how to get a hold of perl
>modules and then install them. Let me know if this will be a problem for
>some of you to answer or not. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Ditto as above!

Michele

Tad McClellan

Robin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
> different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
> reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess.

Huh?

Was that meant to be a sentence in the English language?

> am wondering how to get a hold of perl
> modules and then install them.

The way the Perl FAQ says to:

perldoc -q module

What modules and extensions are available for Perl? What is CPAN?
What does CPAN/src/... mean?

How do I install a module from CPAN?

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

How do I add the directory my program lives in to the mod-
ule/library search path?

> Let me know if this will be a problem for
> some of you to answer or not.

Re-answering a Question that is Asked Frequently is always a problem,
which is why FAQ lists were developed in the first place.

They don't work if people won't look in them though.

> please be kind.

Please be respectful of other's time.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting