Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > HELP needed for a small script

HELP needed for a small script

David

First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
this group
I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
find on the web

In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
a txt file looking like:

00001;we are preparing your order
00002;we are preparing your order
00003;your order has been shipped
00004;we are preparing your order
00005;we are waiting for your payment
00006......

The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
returns for exemple "Order does not exist"

As I'm a newbie (sorrrry , how do I place this script in my html
page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
What about CHMOD ???

I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
your help regarding this matter !

Thanks in advance guys

David

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

David wrote:
> I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
> find on the web

<job specification snipped>

If you are looking for somebody who writes it for you, try:

http://jobs.perl.org/

If you want to give it a try yourself, these links might be useful:

About Perl:
http://learn.perl.org/

About CGI scripts:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Documen...CGI_Tutorials/

Then, if you encounter difficulties to make it work, you are welcome to
ask for help. Ask here if the problem is about Perl itself, or else
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a more appropriate newsgroup.

Good luck!

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

ioneabu@yahoo.com

David wrote:
> First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern

with
> this group
> I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
> find on the web
>
> In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would

open
> a txt file looking like:
>

> 00001;we are preparing your order
> 00002;we are preparing your order
> 00003;your order has been shipped
> 00004;we are preparing your order
> 00005;we are waiting for your payment
> 00006......
>
> The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
> box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
> order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
> returns for exemple "Order does not exist"
>
> As I'm a newbie (sorrrry , how do I place this script in my html
> page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
> What about CHMOD ???
>
> I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
> your help regarding this matter !
>
> Thanks in advance guys
>
> David

I am going sky diving tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone can give
me some tips on how to make my own parachute...

Just kidding!

seriously, from one newbie to another, try these books:

Learning Perl, Third Edition
by Randal L. Schwartz, Tom Phoenix

Official Guide to Programming with CGI.pm
by Lincoln Stein

MySQL and Perl for the Web
by Paul DuBois

wana

Muller

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David) wrote in news:dd02b68d.0501091432.213f51c4
@posting.google.com:

> First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
> this group
> I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
> find on the web
>
> In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
> a txt file looking like:
>

> 00001;we are preparing your order
> 00002;we are preparing your order
> 00003;your order has been shipped
> 00004;we are preparing your order
> 00005;we are waiting for your payment
> 00006......
>
> The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
> box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
> order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
> returns for exemple "Order does not exist"
>
> As I'm a newbie (sorrrry , how do I place this script in my html
> page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
> What about CHMOD ???
>
> I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
> your help regarding this matter !
>
> Thanks in advance guys
>
> David

If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
will not help you
try 911

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Muller wrote:
> If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
> will not help you
> try 911

He did get help, both from wana and me.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tad McClellan

David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[ snip: needs a CGI program ]

> how do I place this script in my html
> page ?

Don't you have the horse before the cart?

You first have to _get_ a script before you need to know how
to use it. Take smaller steps.

It appears that you do not understand how the web works, because
you do not put your script in the HTML, you do put a URL to
the script in there though. The script itself is on the web *server*,
not in the web page.

If you are going to do this yourself rather than hire someone who
already knows what needs to be known, then you should take a step
back and get the big picture before delving into the details.

The question above is not a Perl question, if you were using
Python or Java the answer would be the same.

> Do I have to create a .cgi file ?

That is not a Perl question.

It is a question about how to setup a CGI program (which depends
on how your web server happens to be configured).

Questions about web server configuration should be asked in:

comp.infosystems.www.servers.mac
comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc
comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

Questions about the CGI environment should be asked in:

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Questions about Perl should be asked in this newsgroup.

> What about CHMOD ???

I have never heard of "CHMOD", only "chmod". Case matters.

What permissions are needed is also not a Perl question, it
depends on how the web server has been configured.

> I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
> your help regarding this matter !

None of your questions were about Perl, they were all about web
servers and CGI programs.

Nonetheless, there are some Perl FAQs that are likely to help you:

perldoc -q CGI

Where can I learn about CGI or Web programming in Perl?

My CGI script runs from the command line but not the browser. (500
Server Error)

How can I get better error messages from a CGI program?

How do I decode a CGI form?

perldoc -q HTML

How do I automate an HTML form submission?

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Tad McClellan

Muller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
> will not help you

Thank you for identifying yourself.

I will make use of the information you have provided here!