Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Deactivate a window in Perl::Tk?

Deactivate a window in Perl::Tk?

Josef Moellers

Hi,

I'm writing a small application which might require some action to be
performed before the main functionality can be used, e.g. the powering
on of some device. To alert the user, I create a new Toplevel window
with a message and some buttons (e.g. "Done", "Abort"). I'd like to
disable the main window until the user pressed any one of these buttons
(setting a global variable and destroy-ing the new Toplevel window). I
could, obviously, change the state of all buttons in the main window to
"disabled", but is there an easier way of disabling an entire window?

--
Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
-- T. Pratchett

John Bokma

Josef Moellers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a small application which might require some action to be
> performed before the main functionality can be used, e.g. the powering
> on of some device. To alert the user, I create a new Toplevel window
> with a message and some buttons (e.g. "Done", "Abort"). I'd like to
> disable the main window until the user pressed any one of these buttons
> (setting a global variable and destroy-ing the new Toplevel window). I
> could, obviously, change the state of all buttons in the main window to
> "disabled", but is there an easier way of disabling an entire window?

http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+Tk+Modal

Josef Moellers

John Bokma wrote:
> Josef Moellers wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm writing a small application which might require some action to be
>>performed before the main functionality can be used, e.g. the powering
>>on of some device. To alert the user, I create a new Toplevel window
>>with a message and some buttons (e.g. "Done", "Abort"). I'd like to
>>disable the main window until the user pressed any one of these buttons
>>(setting a global variable and destroy-ing the new Toplevel window). I
>>could, obviously, change the state of all buttons in the main window to
>>"disabled", but is there an easier way of disabling an entire window?

> http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+Tk+Modal

Thanks, That's what I needed.