Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > charting org charts in Perl ?

charting org charts in Perl ?

jan_buys@hotmail.com

Hi,

Not sure whether this can be done. Someone asked me whether I could do
some CGI-Perl to chart organisation charts dynamically. I have a
database of people of which I can change layout, no problem there.
However... was wondering as to which perl package would be suitable for
doing this. I hope something that is installed on most standard perl
installs is available for doing this.
Any packages I should check ?

Thanks

Paul Lalli

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Not sure whether this can be done. Someone asked me whether I could

do
> some CGI-Perl to chart organisation charts dynamically. I have a
> database of people of which I can change layout, no problem there.
> However... was wondering as to which perl package would be suitable

for
> doing this. I hope something that is installed on most standard perl
> installs is available for doing this.
> Any packages I should check ?

For CGI applications, you want CGI.pm
For database connectivity, you want DBI and the appropriate
DBD::<database> package
For the charts, there are a variety of options. I'd recommend trying
out GD::Graph first.

CGI.pm is standard. The others can be found at http://search.cpan.org

Paul Lalli

Paul Lalli

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Not sure whether this can be done. Someone asked me whether I could
> > do some CGI-Perl to chart organisation charts dynamically.

> For the charts, there are a variety of options. I'd recommend trying
> out GD::Graph first.

I misread your original objective. Rather than GD::Graph, you may wish
to try either GD::OrgChart or Image::OrgChart. Both available from
CPAN.

Paul Lalli