Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > odbc howto

odbc howto

Average Joe

I am using a Sun Sparc Solaris 8 or Linux x86, doesn't matter. I want to
be able to modify a database via perl. The only way to get to the
database is via a Win32 DSN. I'm new to this so can I access the
database directly? I do not know what DB server is running, just that it
is ODBC compliant. Is there a perl ODBC module that allows me to connect
to an ODBC compatible database via a Win32 DSN name from the Sun or Linux?

--
Average Joe

Matt Garrish

"Average Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I am using a Sun Sparc Solaris 8 or Linux x86, doesn't matter. I want to be
>able to modify a database via perl. The only way to get to the database is
>via a Win32 DSN. I'm new to this so can I access the database directly? I
>do not know what DB server is running, just that it is ODBC compliant. Is
>there a perl ODBC module that allows me to connect to an ODBC compatible
>database via a Win32 DSN name from the Sun or Linux?

You're probably better off finding out exactly what type of database you're
connecting to and using the appropriate DBD driver.

If you have to go the ODBC route, you'll still need to know what type of
database it is so you can get the appropriate ODBC driver. You'll also need
unixODBC or some other manager and the Perl DBI and DBD::ODBC modules.

Matt