Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Installing DBI module on Solaris 8

Installing DBI module on Solaris 8

naniwadekar

I want to install DBI module on my Sun Sparc server
which runs Solaris8. I upgraded to Perl 5.8.5 by
downloading perl_s-5.8.5-sol8-sparc-local.gz from
sunfreeware.com; then I installed libiconv package.
Now I want to install gcc before compiling DBI
and DBD::Oracle modules. Which gcc package I should install? The bigger one
or the smaller one? On sunfreeware site, two choices are available.
gcc-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
or gcc_small-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

The GNU C compiler and related programs - installs in /usr/local. This
package includes the GNU C, C++, g77, Java, and OBJC compiler suites and
support files. The gcc_small package has ONLY the C and C++ compilers and is
a much smaller download. These gcc packages require the installation of
libiconv.

Should I install gcc or is gcc_small enough?

Thanks in advance.