Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Cannot compile working perl on freebsd / amd64

Cannot compile working perl on freebsd / amd64

Mike Hunter

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody out there has some advice for me.

I cannot compile a working perl binary for freebsd 5.2.1, 5.3, or 6.0 on
amd64. During the `make test` phase it gets into some kind of memory loop
with Config.t: It sits on this test with 99% cpu and ever-increasing memory
until finally runnnig the machine out of ram.

I have the incomplete build sitting in /tmp, and I can envoke lib/Config.t
and get it to do it straight away. kdump (strace on linux) shows it doing
break after break:

23961 perl CALL break(0x1f86000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x2254000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x1f88000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x2258000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8a000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x225c000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8c000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x2260000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8e000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x2264000)
23961 perl RET break 0
23961 perl CALL break(0x1f90000)

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to debug the problem or work around it.

Thanks,

Mike

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Mike Hunter:

> I'm hoping somebody out there has some advice for me.
>
> I cannot compile a working perl binary for freebsd 5.2.1, 5.3, or 6.0 on
> amd64. During the `make test` phase it gets into some kind of memory loop
> with Config.t: It sits on this test with 99% cpu and ever-increasing memory
> until finally runnnig the machine out of ram.
>
> I have the incomplete build sitting in /tmp, and I can envoke lib/Config.t
> and get it to do it straight away. kdump (strace on linux) shows it doing
> break after break:
>
> 23961 perl CALL break(0x1f86000)
> 23961 perl RET break 0
> 23961 perl CALL break(0x2254000)
> 23961 perl RET break 0

[...]

You should report that to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) along with the output
of 'perl -V' of this incomplete perl. If that is not possible (because
the build is in fact too incomplete to even run perl -V), include
config.h as generated by Configure in your report.

Tassilo