Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Possible to open multiple instances/profiles of Firefox (win32)?

Possible to open multiple instances/profiles of Firefox (win32)?

Isak Dinesen

I was under the impression that the thinking behind browser-based user
profiles was that it should be possible for multiple people sharing one
computer to manage separate preferences, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc,
without actually setting up multiple accounts on and constantly logging onto
and off of the system (closing programs, waiting, etc.). Now let's say I
have 6 tabs open in a Firefox window and my wife wants to quickly check an
RSS list that is stored in her profile. My first instinct here is to type
"firefox -ProfileManager", to "force" firefox to diplay the profile
selection dialog. But it doesn't force the dialog to appear -- is that by
design?

A second related problem is this: Let's say I periodically open a Terminal
Services session from the office to my home computer (to check personal
email, view recent market activity, scan /., etc.). If I was careless enough
to forget to close Firefox the night before, I am not allowed to open
another instance using the same profile (thus I have to kill the currently
running instance which has the strange side effect that all of the custom
icons for bookmarks in my personal toolbar disappear). Firefox should not
have a need to exclusively lock any of the files in a profile directory for
any extended period of time. What gives?

Any workarounds and/or insights are much appreciated.

Isak Dinesen

*Bump*

"Isak Dinesen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UMfFc.4925$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I was under the impression that the thinking behind browser-based user
> profiles was that it should be possible for multiple people sharing one
> computer to manage separate preferences, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc,
> without actually setting up multiple accounts on and constantly logging

onto
> and off of the system (closing programs, waiting, etc.). Now let's say I
> have 6 tabs open in a Firefox window and my wife wants to quickly check an
> RSS list that is stored in her profile. My first instinct here is to type
> "firefox -ProfileManager", to "force" firefox to diplay the profile
> selection dialog. But it doesn't force the dialog to appear -- is that by
> design?
>
> A second related problem is this: Let's say I periodically open a Terminal
> Services session from the office to my home computer (to check personal
> email, view recent market activity, scan /., etc.). If I was careless

enough
> to forget to close Firefox the night before, I am not allowed to open
> another instance using the same profile (thus I have to kill the currently
> running instance which has the strange side effect that all of the custom
> icons for bookmarks in my personal toolbar disappear). Firefox should not
> have a need to exclusively lock any of the files in a profile directory

for
> any extended period of time. What gives?
>
> Any workarounds and/or insights are much appreciated.

Leonidas Jones

Isak Dinesen wrote:

> I was under the impression that the thinking behind browser-based user
> profiles was that it should be possible for multiple people sharing one
> computer to manage separate preferences, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc,
> without actually setting up multiple accounts on and constantly logging onto
> and off of the system (closing programs, waiting, etc.). Now let's say I
> have 6 tabs open in a Firefox window and my wife wants to quickly check an
> RSS list that is stored in her profile. My first instinct here is to type
> "firefox -ProfileManager", to "force" firefox to diplay the profile
> selection dialog. But it doesn't force the dialog to appear -- is that by
> design?

Where are you typing this? Location bar? Start>>Run?

Regardless, I think the only way in FF is to close the program and
reopen it in the new profile. Mozilla has Tools>>Options>>Switch
Profile. This opens Profile Manager and reopens the ap in the new profile.

> A second related problem is this: Let's say I periodically open a Terminal
> Services session from the office to my home computer (to check personal
> email, view recent market activity, scan /., etc.). If I was careless enough
> to forget to close Firefox the night before, I am not allowed to open
> another instance using the same profile (thus I have to kill the currently
> running instance which has the strange side effect that all of the custom
> icons for bookmarks in my personal toolbar disappear). Firefox should not
> have a need to exclusively lock any of the files in a profile directory for
> any extended period of time. What gives?
>
> Any workarounds and/or insights are much appreciated.

Unfortunatetly, I have no insight on this one.

Lee