Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > (Newbie Question) Digest::MD5 CPAN module compilation errors

(Newbie Question) Digest::MD5 CPAN module compilation errors

FreeDiver

Hi,
I am a newbie in Perl. I am having trouble installing my
Digest::MD5 CPAN
module. We are running Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0.3 (from SMCgcc3 pkg).
I've got
the following error messages when trying to do a "make". Looks like
it's complaining about that '-KPIC' option is not recognized.
Any idea how I can resolve this problem ?? Do I need another
compiler
for this CPAN module installation ?? Is there any other free compiler
out there ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

atlantis# perl Makefile.PL CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
Testing alignment requirements for U32... Test program exit status was
0
Warning: prerequisite Digest::base 1.00 not found at (eval 1) line
220.
Writing Makefile for Digest::MD5

atlantis# make
/usr/local/bin/gcc -c -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"2.33\"
-DXS_VERSION=\"2.33\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
-DU32_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED MD5.c
gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
gcc: language depend not recognized
gcc: MD5.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
Running Mkbootstrap for Digest::MD5 ()
chmod 644 MD5.bs
LD_RUN_PATH="" cc -o blib/arch/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so -G MD5.o
cc: MD5.o: No such file or directory
cc: No input files
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`blib/arch/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so'

Ben Morrow

Quoth http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (FreeDiver):
> Hi,
> I am a newbie in Perl. I am having trouble installing my
> Digest::MD5 CPAN
> module. We are running Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0.3 (from SMCgcc3 pkg).
> I've got
> the following error messages when trying to do a "make". Looks like
> it's complaining about that '-KPIC' option is not recognized.
> Any idea how I can resolve this problem ?? Do I need another
> compiler
> for this CPAN module installation ?? Is there any other free compiler
> out there ??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> atlantis# perl Makefile.PL CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc

You must build modules with the same compiler perl was built with, in
this case one of Sun's ccs by the looks of it.
perl -V:cc -V:ccversion -V:gccversion should enable you to work it out.
Either get hold of a copy of that compiler, or rebuild perl from source
with the compiler you have.

Ben

- Pericles of Athens, c.430 B.C.
(E-Mail Removed)