Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl / MySql / Shopping cart

Perl / MySql / Shopping cart

Tony M M

Has anyone on this message group ever thought of modifying, or building a
shopping cart that is real world and usable then putting it out to the
populous?

What I see is bloated, non working perl scripts that are missing the mark in
the area.

I see one script that seems like a perfect starting point but needs to be
developed and a simple hack like I am is unable to get it to interact with a
real time credit card processor. (
http://www.digitalpressworks.com/shoppingcart.html )

That is a great starting point with the cart. After that it needs two types
of things to be built -- accounting and inventory ability (using MySql).

I asked this question after looking at perl shopping carts for the last 6
months and seeing what I indicated above.... If this has been tackled in
the past could anyone point me to the thread? If not, is this the type of
newsgroup that participates like this?

Thank you,

Tony <Mike> M.

Gregory Toomey

Tony M M wrote:

> Has anyone on this message group ever thought of modifying, or building a
> shopping cart that is real world and usable then putting it out to the
> populous?
>
> What I see is bloated, non working perl scripts that are missing the mark
> in the area.

There are a few ones like http://www.ratite.com/Perl/WebStore.shtml
However most LAMP shopping cards tend to be php eg oscommerce

> I see one script that seems like a perfect starting point but needs to be
> developed and a simple hack like I am is unable to get it to interact with
> a real time credit card processor. (
> http://www.digitalpressworks.com/shoppingcart.html )
>
> That is a great starting point with the cart. After that it needs two
> types of things to be built -- accounting and inventory ability (using
> MySql).
>
> I asked this question after looking at perl shopping carts for the last 6
> months and seeing what I indicated above.... If this has been tackled in
> the past could anyone point me to the thread? If not, is this the type of
> newsgroup that participates like this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tony <Mike> M.

I didnt like anything I saw so I rolled my own.
It took me about a month to write Phase 1 of www.pchq.com.au in Perl/mysql,
complete with an interface to a wholesaler to automatically update prices.

I added a Perl html whitespace remover and installed a Squid reverse proxy
so hopefully the site loads fast. Graphics are done with ImageMagick.

Phase 2 will add checkout/credit card payments.

gtoomey

Tony M M

"Gregory Toomey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony M M wrote:
> > Has anyone on this message group ever thought of modifying, or building

> > shopping cart that is real world and usable then putting it out to the
> > populous?
> > What I see is bloated, non working perl scripts that are missing the

mark
> > in the area.

> There are a few ones like http://www.ratite.com/Perl/WebStore.shtml
> However most LAMP shopping cards tend to be php eg oscommerce

oscommerce is bloated beyond belief (imo). It does so many quiries that it
puts quite a workload on the server. But beyond being slow on our server it
is too cookie cutter. Go to one oscommerce site and you have seen most. That
is one of the reasons I started this thread. The digitalpressworks cart (the
one I refered to as a good starting point) is database driven
(autogenerated) or static page (or both). This allows one shop to look
different from another. It is simple in its design (even I can modify it
easliy). But they seem to have stopped development on it. (Again in my
opinion - it needs a database backend, and real-time cc processing and it
would be pretty complete).

> > I asked this question after looking at perl shopping carts for the last

6
> > months and seeing what I indicated above.... If this has been tackled

in
> > the past could anyone point me to the thread? If not, is this the type

of
> > newsgroup that participates like this?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Tony <Mike> M.

> I didnt like anything I saw so I rolled my own.
> It took me about a month to write Phase 1 of www.pchq.com.au in

Perl/mysql,
> complete with an interface to a wholesaler to automatically update prices.
> I added a Perl html whitespace remover and installed a Squid reverse proxy
> so hopefully the site loads fast. Graphics are done with ImageMagick.
> Phase 2 will add checkout/credit card payments.
> gtoomey

I went to the site you listed. Did I miss the cart? I didn't see a place to
put anything in as an order.

That is what I am talking about though... One month to build phase one (if I
knew perl better I would attempt it but I can just test/hack/trail and error
modify). The hard part is (imo) is phase 2 - the return information from the
payment processor in the background, update the database, send confirmation
e-mails, and save the order.

If this newsgroup does projects it would be great. Maybe an old concept -
but used to do it (on old BBS's) back in the old basic/pascal days and we
made some pretty good useful freeware and with perl being an open type of
language it seem to be in the spirit.

Tony <Mike> M

Tad McClellan

Tony M M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If this newsgroup does projects it would be great.

It doesn't.

We discuss Perl in the Perl newsgroup.

We _help_ people who are developing applications in the Perl
newsgroup, so post your questions here when you run into trouble
writing your application.

We don't generally write code to specification, volunteers tend to
volunteer for things that are "fun" or "interesting".

The drudge of scratching somebody else's itch is probably going
to require payment in some form...

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Gregory Toomey

Tony M M wrote:

> "Gregory Toomey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tony M M wrote:
>> > Has anyone on this message group ever thought of modifying, or building

>> > shopping cart that is real world and usable then putting it out to the
>> > populous?
>> > What I see is bloated, non working perl scripts that are missing the

> mark
>> > in the area.

>> There are a few ones like http://www.ratite.com/Perl/WebStore.shtml
>> However most LAMP shopping cards tend to be php eg oscommerce

> oscommerce is bloated beyond belief (imo). It does so many quiries that it
> puts quite a workload on the server. But beyond being slow on our server
> it is too cookie cutter. Go to one oscommerce site and you have seen most.
> That is one of the reasons I started this thread. The digitalpressworks
> cart (the one I refered to as a good starting point) is database driven
> (autogenerated) or static page (or both). This allows one shop to look
> different from another. It is simple in its design (even I can modify it
> easliy). But they seem to have stopped development on it. (Again in my
> opinion - it needs a database backend, and real-time cc processing and it
> would be pretty complete).
>
>> > I asked this question after looking at perl shopping carts for the last

> 6
>> > months and seeing what I indicated above.... If this has been tackled

> in
>> > the past could anyone point me to the thread? If not, is this the type

> of
>> > newsgroup that participates like this?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Tony <Mike> M.

>> I didnt like anything I saw so I rolled my own.
>> It took me about a month to write Phase 1 of www.pchq.com.au in

> Perl/mysql,
>> complete with an interface to a wholesaler to automatically update
>> prices. I added a Perl html whitespace remover and installed a Squid
>> reverse proxy so hopefully the site loads fast. Graphics are done with
>> ImageMagick. Phase 2 will add checkout/credit card payments.
>> gtoomey

> I went to the site you listed. Did I miss the cart? I didn't see a place
> to put anything in as an order.

Its "brochureware" at the moment.

I'm working on the shopping cart/shipping/credit card interface.

> That is what I am talking about though... One month to build phase one (if
> I knew perl better I would attempt it but I can just test/hack/trail and
> error modify). The hard part is (imo) is phase 2 - the return information
> from the payment processor in the background, update the database, send
> confirmation e-mails, and save the order.
>
> If this newsgroup does projects it would be great. Maybe an old concept -
> but used to do it (on old BBS's) back in the old basic/pascal days and we
> made some pretty good useful freeware and with perl being an open type of
> language it seem to be in the spirit.
>
> Tony <Mike> M

There seem to be plenty of shopping carts already. But if you want specific
featureyou may need to build it yourself.

gtoomey