Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > A Reg-exp compendium of frequently occuring matches?

A Reg-exp compendium of frequently occuring matches?

Mark Day

I was wondering if anyone out there had compiled a list
of regular expressions for tasks that occur frequently such as
stripping out HTML tags, validating IP addresses, etc.
Is there anything like this around? If there's a link for something like
that, it would be very handy and helpful, thanks in advance.

Simon Taylor

Mark Day wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone out there had compiled a list
> of regular expressions for tasks that occur frequently such as
> stripping out HTML tags, validating IP addresses, etc.
> Is there anything like this around? If there's a link for something like
> that, it would be very handy and helpful, thanks in advance.

Search for regexp at http://search.cpan.org and you'll see plenty
of examples under the Regexp::Common namespace.

Probably the best starting point is here:

http://search.cpan.org/~abigail/Rege...gexp/Common.pm

Regards,

Simon Taylor

Charlton Wilbur

MD> I was wondering if anyone out there had compiled a list of
MD> regular expressions for tasks that occur frequently such as
MD> stripping out HTML tags, validating IP addresses, etc.

Both of those are extremely poor uses for regular expressions.

MD> Is there anything like this around? If there's a link for
MD> something like that, it would be very handy and helpful,
MD> thanks in advance.

http://search.cpan.org.

To validate an IP address, Validate::Net.

To strip HTML tags, HTML::Strip.

For generic common regular expressions, Regex::Common.

Charlton

--
cwilbur at chromatico dot net
cwilbur at mac dot com

Mark Day

Simon Taylor wrote:
> Mark Day wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone out there had compiled a list
>> of regular expressions for tasks that occur frequently such as
>> stripping out HTML tags, validating IP addresses, etc.
>> Is there anything like this around? If there's a link for something
>> like that, it would be very handy and helpful, thanks in advance.
>>

> Search for regexp at http://search.cpan.org and you'll see plenty
> of examples under the Regexp::Common namespace.
>
> Probably the best starting point is here:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~abigail/Rege...gexp/Common.pm
>

> Regards,

That's great, thanks.
Looks like there are many such common tasks that could be added here.

Mark Day

Abigail wrote:
> Mark Day ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote on MMMMLXXX September MCMXCIII in
> <URL:news:(E-Mail Removed)>:
> `'
> `'
> `' Simon Taylor wrote:
> `' > Mark Day wrote:
> `' >
> `' >> I was wondering if anyone out there had compiled a list
> `' >> of regular expressions for tasks that occur frequently such as
> `' >> stripping out HTML tags, validating IP addresses, etc.
> `' >> Is there anything like this around? If there's a link for something
> `' >> like that, it would be very handy and helpful, thanks in advance.
> `' >>
> `' >
> `' > Search for regexp at http://search.cpan.org and you'll see plenty
> `' > of examples under the Regexp::Common namespace.
> `' >
> `' > Probably the best starting point is here:
> `' >
> `' > http://search.cpan.org/~abigail/Rege...gexp/Common.pm
> `' >
> `' >
> `' > Regards,
> `'
> `'
> `' That's great, thanks.
> `' Looks like there are many such common tasks that could be added here.
> `'
>

> Patches welcome.

As soon as my skills are that far along, I'd be happy to.