Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'T install??!!!

Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'T install??!!!

Galaxy

It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.

So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
(http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
there that it should work for Firefox.

What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
days.

Thanks.

Moz Champion

Galaxy wrote:
> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
>
> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
> there that it should work for Firefox.
>
> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
> days.
>
> Thanks.

First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Galaxy

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 05:45:16 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Galaxy wrote:
>> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
>> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
>> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
>> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
>> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
>> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
>> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
>>
>> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
>> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
>> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
>> there that it should work for Firefox.
>>
>> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
>> days.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
>You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

(Sheesh, looks like I'm not the only one:
http://forum.deviantart.com/software/general/232776/)

<sigh> Yeah, looks like a version # for the Themer extension isn't
given: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer. So I don't
even know if Themer is supposed to work in 0.9. Judging how nothing
happens when I try to install it, not even an error msg for Pete's
sake, I can only guess that that's the reason.

Anyway, that supposedly isn't the cause of why I can't install themes.
This one clearly states it's compatible with v0.9:
http://www.mozfly.devisland.net/. So I don't know what's up with
that.

David Harrison

On 7/2/2004 7:04 AM, Galaxy said:
>>First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
>>You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

Somebody covered this in an earlier thread -- a week or two ago?

There's a site that helps you install jar files to Firebird. Could
someone post it again, please?

cheers,

David H

PS. Just a thought -- have you tried saving to disk then drag-and-drop
onto the firebird window? That works with Moz suite extensions...

Galaxy

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:49:12 +0100, David Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 7/2/2004 7:04 AM, Galaxy said:
>>>First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
>>>You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

>Somebody covered this in an earlier thread -- a week or two ago?
>
>There's a site that helps you install jar files to Firebird. Could
>someone post it again, please?

That would be great! But I'm hoping it's help with Firefox and not
the earlier Firebird <grin>.

>cheers,
>
>David H
>
>PS. Just a thought -- have you tried saving to disk then drag-and-drop
>onto the firebird window? That works with Moz suite extensions...

That's how I prefer to do things. I don't like "web installs". But
neither way worked, anyway. <shrug>

p.s., I had been plugging in "Firefox themes" in google, but it was
when I put in "Firefox-0.9 themes" that I pulled up a ton of messages
where people complained of the very same thing! So it sees that 0.9
is very buggy. Lots of complaints about how 0.8 was better though
much slower. Common recommendation seemed to be to wait till 1.0 and
to stick with 0.8 until then.

Well, I've switched now so won't be uninstalling everything to try out
0.8. I just hope this 1.0 one comes out soon, OR that there's a way
to fix themes/extensions to work with 0.9.

Cheers!

David Harrison

On 7/2/2004 12:46 PM, Galaxy said:

> That would be great! But I'm hoping it's help with Firefox and not
> the earlier Firebird <grin>.

It was for Firefox. It was inside the last month, so it might be worth
trawling the archives...

cheers,

David

--

"When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
reply address

mike555

Galaxy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
>
> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
> there that it should work for Firefox.
>
> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
> days.
>
> Thanks.

==== perhaps I can help , if you have FireFox .9.1 and want an
extention , just
click on "tools " , "extentions" , then click on "get more extentions"
, that will take you to an approved list of extentions that work ,
where you can install them from there or rt. click and download with
your fav . downloader , then open firefox and drag and drop them into
the "extentions" window ...
the same with themes (only drag and drop them into the themes window
) I like
" Noia 2 eXtreme" ........ the extentions I use are ;
"single Window ", Sort Bookmarks" , Session Saver" , Allow rt. Click"
,
Hide Searchbar" , "Launchy" , and my fav .. " Send To " from ...
it's own website ... http://gorgias.de/mfe/ ...hope this helps...
Mike555

Galaxy

On 2 Jul 2004 13:35:15 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mike555)
wrote:

>Galaxy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
>> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
>> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
>> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
>> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
>> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
>> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
>>
>> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
>> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
>> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
>> there that it should work for Firefox.
>>
>> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
>> days.
>>
>> Thanks.

>==== perhaps I can help , if you have FireFox .9.1 and want an
>extention , just
>click on "tools " , "extentions" , then click on "get more extentions"
>, that will take you to an approved list of extentions that work ,
>where you can install them from there or rt. click and download with
>your fav . downloader , then open firefox and drag and drop them into
>the "extentions" window ...
> the same with themes (only drag and drop them into the themes window
>) I like
>" Noia 2 eXtreme" ........ the extentions I use are ;
>"single Window ", Sort Bookmarks" , Session Saver" , Allow rt. Click"
>,
>Hide Searchbar" , "Launchy" , and my fav .. " Send To " from ...
> it's own website ... http://gorgias.de/mfe/ ...hope this helps...
>Mike555

Thanks, Mike. The trouble is that the extensions I _want_ are
elsewhere. Very few have worked. I'm guessing that even though they
say they're compatible with 0.9, they're not. Or, at least, not with
0.9 which is what I have.

mike555

> Thanks, Mike. The trouble is that the extensions I _want_ are
> elsewhere. Very few have worked. I'm guessing that even though they
> say they're compatible with 0.9, they're not. Or, at least, not with
> 0.9 which is what I have.

=== if you install one that crashes FireFox , you shouldn't need to
uninstall FireFox , just delete the extentions file and restart
FireFox and start over,
or maybe start in FireFox save mode and delete the bad one ....
=========