Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > where download web application source code examples ?

where download web application source code examples ?

Jasper

Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
search problem but I cant find any..

thanks !

Jasper

Ben Morrow

Quoth http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jasper):
> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
> search problem but I cant find any..

Try

http://www.google.com/
http://search.cpan.org/
http://jobs.perl.org/

Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here. If you wish to
write your own and get stuck, we will be happy to help you.

Ben

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear and
I will let it pass through me. When the fear is gone there will be

Gregory Toomey

Jasper wrote:

> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
> search problem but I cant find any..
>
> thanks !
>
> Jasper

Most are in php but you can try
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8...hopping%20cart

I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

gtoomey

Sam Holden

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jasper wrote:
>
>> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
>> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
>> search problem but I cant find any..
>>
>> thanks !
>>
>> Jasper

> Most are in php but you can try
> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8...hopping%20cart
>
> I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
> flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
> html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
> site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
> While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
benefit the C program might bring?

--
Sam Holden

Gregory Toomey

Sam Holden wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Jasper wrote:
>>
>>> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
>>> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
>>> search problem but I cant find any..
>>>
>>> thanks !
>>>
>>> Jasper

>> Most are in php but you can try
>> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8...hopping%20cart
>>
>> I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
>> flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
>> html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
>> site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
>> While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

> And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
> benefit the C program might bring?

- The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal
- fork on modern Linux/unix is < 1 msec
- logon to mysql from C is 3 msec, though I dont do that (yet).
- the C program is optimised (-O2 in gcc) & staticly linked
- Also some versions of Apache insist on generating a "Content Length" in
the header (eg Apache in Redhat 9) which means they run the cgi & buffer
stdout, calculate the content length, then send everything back to the
browser. Recent versions of Apache send content back to the browser as soon
as the cgi generates to stdout.

This whole process is designed to start sending content back to the browser
a few milliseconds after it hits the server.

I've written about related issues at:
http://gregorytoomey.com/index.php?o...&id=2&Itemid=2

gtoomey

Sam Holden

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:35:16 +1000, Gregory Toomey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sam Holden wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Most are in php but you can try
>>> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8...hopping%20cart
>>>
>>> I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
>>> flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
>>> html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
>>> site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
>>> While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

>> And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
>> benefit the C program might bring?
>>

> - The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
> writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal

So the C program isn't being run from the perl script then? Since
otherwise it'd take 140 msec before it got started anyway.

Whatever is doing "run C program, run perl program" will be
able to do "run C program, run php program" or
"run C program, run python program". So I can't see how
perl is involved in making it "easy & logical".

--
Sam Holden

Gregory Toomey

Sam Holden wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:35:16 +1000, Gregory Toomey <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Sam Holden wrote:

>>> And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
>>> benefit the C program might bring?
>>>

>> - The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
>> writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal

> So the C program isn't being run from the perl script then? Since
> otherwise it'd take 140 msec before it got started anyway.
>
> Whatever is doing "run C program, run perl program" will be
> able to do "run C program, run php program" or
> "run C program, run python program". So I can't see how
> perl is involved in making it "easy & logical".

Yes, there is another small wrapper around this, which add a few msec. I may
roll this into the other C program.

The "easy and logical" bit is in comparison to the alternatives - mod Perl,
php, Java servlets (yuk - slow). The easy bit is that it can be run from
the command line, which can't be underestimated. Tweaking/testing is easy
if you can run you cgi from the command line.

gtoomey

Jasper

Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Quoth (E-Mail Removed) (Jasper):
> > Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
> > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
> > search problem but I cant find any..

> Try
>
> http://www.google.com/
> http://search.cpan.org/
> http://jobs.perl.org/
>
> Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here. If you wish to
> write your own and get stuck, we will be happy to help you.
>
> Ben

So where are they welcome Mr. Ben ? Are you the new moderator ?

Tad McClellan

Jasper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Quoth (E-Mail Removed) (Jasper):

>> > is there anywhere on the web
>> > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
>> > search problem but I cant find any..

>> Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here.

> Are you the new moderator ?

Are you the new asshole?

*plonk*

--