Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sharing an access database

Sharing an access database

et

I have an aspnet program that uses an Access database -- I won't go into why
I'm using Access -- and can't get it to run in share mode.

If I have opened the website, and I try to edit the database, I get a
message saying the database is in read only because it's being used
elsewhere. Even if I close the website, close the program, close everything
I can think of, I still get the error. I always have to reboot.

If I add Mode=Share Deny None to the connection string, I get an aspnet
error that says "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
database engine cannot open the file
'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\charliesgourmetbaking\cgb.mdb' . It is already opened
exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

I have permission, I'm using the Admin logon in the connection string and
there is no password, I have never set a logon or passwords to this Access
database.

Any ideas what I can do to keep the database from being locked? It's a real
pain to make a change, run the site then I have to boot again if I want to
make another change.

Thanks & let me know if this is better in an Access newsgroup, but I think
it's an asp method to unlock Access, no?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZCBSb2JlcnRz?=

For Access databases, the Windows account(perhaps the anonymous acct,
depending on your security settings) will need almost complete access to the
directory where the datbase is. This is because Access uses a data file(s) to
keep track of multi-user access to the database. The account under which the
application is running will need to be able to perform the modifications,
etc., to the temporary files used by Access.

"et" wrote:

> I have an aspnet program that uses an Access database -- I won't go into why
> I'm using Access -- and can't get it to run in share mode.
>
> If I have opened the website, and I try to edit the database, I get a
> message saying the database is in read only because it's being used
> elsewhere. Even if I close the website, close the program, close everything
> I can think of, I still get the error. I always have to reboot.
>
> If I add Mode=Share Deny None to the connection string, I get an aspnet
> error that says "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
> database engine cannot open the file
> 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\charliesgourmetbaking\cgb.mdb' . It is already opened
> exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
>
> I have permission, I'm using the Admin logon in the connection string and
> there is no password, I have never set a logon or passwords to this Access
> database.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to keep the database from being locked? It's a real
> pain to make a change, run the site then I have to boot again if I want to
> make another change.
>
> Thanks & let me know if this is better in an Access newsgroup, but I think
> it's an asp method to unlock Access, no?

William LaMartin

One thing you did not close was the aspnet process that was using the
database. The next time you want this happens, do a ctrl-alt-delete and
bring up the running processes tab. Click on the Image Name column to order
the processes by name. You should see something like aspnet_wp.exe. Stop
this process.

"et" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uNoMF$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an aspnet program that uses an Access database -- I won't go into
>why
> I'm using Access -- and can't get it to run in share mode.
>
> If I have opened the website, and I try to edit the database, I get a
> message saying the database is in read only because it's being used
> elsewhere. Even if I close the website, close the program, close
> everything
> I can think of, I still get the error. I always have to reboot.
>
> If I add Mode=Share Deny None to the connection string, I get an aspnet
> error that says "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
> database engine cannot open the file
> 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\charliesgourmetbaking\cgb.mdb' . It is already opened
> exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
>
> I have permission, I'm using the Admin logon in the connection string and
> there is no password, I have never set a logon or passwords to this Access
> database.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to keep the database from being locked? It's a
> real
> pain to make a change, run the site then I have to boot again if I want to
> make another change.
>
> Thanks & let me know if this is better in an Access newsgroup, but I think
> it's an asp method to unlock Access, no?

et

Okay, but how do I control that when I'm using a host ISP, I don't have
access to modify their user accounts.
"Brad Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For Access databases, the Windows account(perhaps the anonymous acct,
> depending on your security settings) will need almost complete access to

the
> directory where the datbase is. This is because Access uses a data file(s)

> keep track of multi-user access to the database. The account under which

the
> application is running will need to be able to perform the modifications,
> etc., to the temporary files used by Access.
>
> "et" wrote:
>
> > I have an aspnet program that uses an Access database -- I won't go into

why
> > I'm using Access -- and can't get it to run in share mode.
> >
> > If I have opened the website, and I try to edit the database, I get a
> > message saying the database is in read only because it's being used
> > elsewhere. Even if I close the website, close the program, close

everything
> > I can think of, I still get the error. I always have to reboot.
> >
> > If I add Mode=Share Deny None to the connection string, I get an aspnet
> > error that says "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
> > database engine cannot open the file
> > 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\charliesgourmetbaking\cgb.mdb' . It is already opened
> > exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
> >
> > I have permission, I'm using the Admin logon in the connection string

and
> > there is no password, I have never set a logon or passwords to this

Access
> > database.
> >
> > Any ideas what I can do to keep the database from being locked? It's a

real
> > pain to make a change, run the site then I have to boot again if I want

> > make another change.
> >
> > Thanks & let me know if this is better in an Access newsgroup, but I

think
> > it's an asp method to unlock Access, no?

et

And I never had this problem before going to .net, so I'm thinking that the
program is not closing it like it should, although I use a dispose.