Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > HTML::Parser and <p> behaviour?

HTML::Parser and <p> behaviour?

Geoff Cox

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:56:38 -0500, Tad McClellan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you show us your code, we might be able to help fix it.
>
>Make a short and complete program *that we can run* that shows
>this phantom "</p> <p>" thing, and we will explain to you
>how it got there.

Tad,

Fascinating to have my character analysed by you all as if I no longer
existed!

I am sure you are correct in saying that I have previously failed to
provide useable code for testing. My fault, my apologies.

If you look will see that I have corrected that in another posting in
this thread which has allowed a very helpful answer.

In my first posting here my assumption was that there would be
something so obvious that people better versed in HTML:arser would
have no problem seeing what was wrong.

I do accept that a small bit of code would have been better.

Cheers

Geoff

>Why not follow the suggestions given in the Posting Guidelines?
>
>If you had, the question would have been answered already instead
>of another of your round-and-round threads where there is not
>enough information given to be able to solve the problem.
>
>Post a small program. We will fix it.

Fred Canis

David H. Adler wrote:
> On 2004-10-14, Fred Canis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> / Tad McClellan wrote:
> /
> / | There is a significant history here that I appear to be ignorant
> / | of.
> /
> / If you mean the history of the OP, well I think it's hardly fair to
> / exact everyone who posts or read here to keep track of the posting
> / histroy of every poster. It doesn't mean it couldn't be checked, of
> / course it could, but I do not think it right at all to give someone
> / such a thorough beating for missing one. I hardly think this is been
> / such a heinous offense.
>
> I think tad's point is that if one is going to lambaste people for
> their response to a toaster, one might check whether there is some
> reason for that response, rather than that one should check the
> posting history relevant to any given thread.

I think the overall problem is the initial responses in this thread came
out very harsh, and it should come as no suprise that some if not many
people will see that as needly negativity. Though in this case one
should of checked up on this one.

Fred Canis

Geoff Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:56:38 -0500, Tad McClellan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> If you show us your code, we might be able to help fix it.
>>
>> Make a short and complete program *that we can run* that shows
>> this phantom "</p> <p>" thing, and we will explain to me
>> how it got there.

> Tad,
>
> Fascinating to have my character analysed by you all as if I no longer
> existed!
>
> I am sure you are correct in saying that I have previously failed to
> provide useable code for testing. My fault, my apologies.
>
> If you look will see that I have corrected that in another posting in
> this thread which has allowed a very helpful answer.

Keep in mind that the order the psots come down a given news feed isn't
guarenteed; in all probability, he may not to have seen it yet.

> In my first posting here my assumption was that there would be
> something so obvious that people better versed in HTML:arser would
> have no problem seeing what was wrong.

In all probability, that might of been so, but heres a question: did you
look at the perdoc for that module? Maybe there answer is there.

> I do accept that a small bit of code would have been better.

Just strip it down to the smallest bit of code that demonstrates your
problem.

> Cheers
>
> Geoff
>

>> Why follow the suggestions given in the Posting Guidelines?
>>
>> If you had, the question would not have been answered already instead
>> of another of your round-and-round threads where there is enough
>> information given to be able to solve the problem.
>>
>> Post a small program. We will fix it.

Geoff Cox

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:54:38 -0700, "Fred Canis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In all probability, that might of been so, but heres a question: did you
>look at the perdoc for that module? Maybe there answer is there.

Fred

I did look but sometimes a doc starts just too far ahead to be useful
...!

Cheers

Geoff

>> I do accept that a small bit of code would have been better.

>Just strip it down to the smallest bit of code that demonstrates your
>problem.
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Geoff
>>

>>> Why follow the suggestions given in the Posting Guidelines?
>>>
>>> If you had, the question would not have been answered already instead
>>> of another of your round-and-round threads where there is enough
>>> information given to be able to solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Post a small program. We will fix it.

Anno Siegel

187 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Tom wrote:
> > 187 wrote:

> [ snip unwarrented and non-sequitor drivel ]
>
> FYI I've programming, working networks, IT, and help desks since the
> 80's. You know nothing of me.

No, we don't, and claims to expertise impress no-one on Usenet.

Gain some credibility, then we might be inclined to consider
your opinions. Otherwise, opinions are like... well you know
what they are like.

Anno

Tad McClellan

187 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> True. I do admit I was quick to judge and I'm sorry for snapping at you.

The Posting Guidelines caution against that too.

(but it doesn't work if you don't follow the suggestions it outlines.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

A. Sinan Unur

"187" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A. Sinan Unur wrote:

>> OTOH, I would think that someone who wishes to appear friendly might
>> want to avoid the nickname '187'.

> Why is that? This is how I uniquely identify myself. If "187" means
> something else that I am not awre of please let me know.

I assumed 'eastcoastttfc.com' indicated that you were US based. I might
have jumped to a conclusion there. FYI, AFAIK, 187 is the police code for
homicide. You might guess what that name might signal to at least
some others.

Sinan.

Tad McClellan

Pinocchio (aka: Fred Canis, aka: 187, aka: krakle...)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tad McClellan wrote:
>> 187 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Grated soem sample code would of been nice,

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^ hmmm

>>> You could of just rplied asking for more information,

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^ hmmm some more

> Maybe best to let thread jsut die instead of going on so bitterly.

^^^^
^^^^

It will die if you stop adding persona to your repertoire[1].

Can't you find some other place to do your trolling?

[1] Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

A. Sinan Unur

Geoff Cox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 14 Oct 2004 00:07:44 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I think you probably want to emit the start and end tags only when the
>>start and end callbacks are invoked. I tried to shorten your script to
>>deal only with the p case:

> Many thanks for the code below - it woks fine and I will try to get to
> grips with how it achieves this. You can no doubt see that I do not
> have a very good understanding of HTML:arser !

The fact is, I do not either.

I try to answer questions here because that helps me learn.

> Do you have any suggestions re possible HTML:arser tutorial type
> places on the net?

I only have access to the exact same documentation you have access to. I
actually apply all the principles I listed elsethread when I attempt to
answer a question.

You might want to check all the examples in
http://search.cpan.org/src/GAAS/HTML-Parser-3.36/eg/

But don't just stare at them. Start with the simplest and try to work out
what they do.

Also, my inclination would have been not to subclass HTML:arser, but
use the version 3 API instead.

Sinan.

--
A. Sinan Unur
(E-Mail Removed)d

Tad McClellan wrote:
> 187 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> True. I do admit I was quick to judge and I'm sorry for snapping at
>> you.

> The Posting Guidelines caution against that too.
>
> (but it doesn't work if you don't follow the suggestions it outlines.

Agreed.