Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Is PHP still slower than Perl?

Is PHP still slower than Perl?

@

A benchmark in 2002 showed PHP is much slower in shell or when Apache has
Mod_Perl.

With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI choice.

Java is for a big team in short time to develope something slow.

ASP is a joke.

PHP is a kid.

Perl is around.

C. I don't know why it is not popular. It should be. Maybe those Web
inventors always thought in Linux so they never wanted to push something
binary so they selected Perl, a slower scripting.

Daniel Tryba

In comp.lang.php @ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A benchmark in 2002 showed PHP is much slower in shell or when Apache has
> Mod_Perl.
>
> With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI choice.

If you want to troll, please put a little more effort in it.

Like make up some benchmarks to support your facts.

--

Daniel Tryba

Joe Smith

@ wrote:

> C. I don't know why it is not popular.

I'd say it is because C does not have strings as a native data type.
Other than initializing an array of char, the C compiler has no
string manipulation built in; it requires library functions to do that.
-Joe

Janwillem Borleffs

@ wrote:
> With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI
> choice.

You mean this regarding PHP 5's OO model? You have never looked at Perl 6's
OO model, haven't you?

JW

John Bokma

"@" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A benchmark in 2002 showed PHP is much slower in shell or when Apache
> has Mod_Perl.
>
> With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI
> choice.

For me Perl is #1 (if possible) because PHP is probably the worst designed
language ever. I am not sure if you can already prepare statements (MySQL),
something I used in Perl ages ago, or still have to use all those
whatsamacalled_quote_shebang garbage.

--
John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

Tony Marston

"John Bokma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "@" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> A benchmark in 2002 showed PHP is much slower in shell or when Apache
>> has Mod_Perl.
>>
>> With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI
>> choice.

> For me Perl is #1 (if possible) because PHP is probably the worst designed
> language ever. I am not sure if you can already prepare statements
> (MySQL),

Yes you CAN use prepare statemetnts with MySQL. You should be aware that
this is a MySQL feature, not a PHP feature.

> something I used in Perl ages ago, or still have to use all those
> whatsamacalled_quote_shebang garbage.

If you don't like PHP then why are you posting to the PHP newsgroup?

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

@

> > A benchmark in 2002 showed PHP is much slower in shell or when Apache
has
> > Mod_Perl.
> >
> > With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI

choice.

> If you want to troll, please put a little more effort in it.
>
> Like make up some benchmarks to support your facts.
>
> --
>
> Daniel Tryba

google with PHP PERL BENCHMARK, you will see the results. That is the one
back from 2002.

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...ark+2002&hl=en

Darin McBride

Janwillem Borleffs wrote:

> @ wrote:
>> With the new PHP kissing Java's ass, Perl is once again the #1 CGI
>> choice.
>>

> You mean this regarding PHP 5's OO model? You have never looked at Perl
> 6's OO model, haven't you?

First off, as Perl 6 doesn't really exist yet, the original flame^Wpost
must be comparing against Perl 5.

Second, Perl 6's OO model could yet do a few 180's.

Third, who said anyone would use Perl 6 for CGI?

Fourth, who said Perl 6's performance would suck?

Fifth, I'm not saying PHP 5's performance sucks - I'm just inferring it
from @'s flame^Wpost.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Joe Smith:

> @ wrote:
>
>> C. I don't know why it is not popular.

> I'd say it is because C does not have strings as a native data type.
> Other than initializing an array of char, the C compiler has no
> string manipulation built in; it requires library functions to do that.

That's a distinction in C that's moot. It has no built-in IO mechanisms
either. You have to include a header to get this functionality. But
nonestheless, it's still part of the language.

Tassilo

Daniel Tryba

In comp.lang.php @ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> If you want to troll, please put a little more effort in it.
>>
>> Like make up some benchmarks to support your facts.

> google with PHP PERL BENCHMARK, you will see the results.

That is not how it works: you make a claim, so you supply your proof. And
I'm more interested in perl/php vs. java.

> That is the one
> back from 2002.

2002 is so 2 years ago, that like ancient man.

--

Daniel Tryba