Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > killing a "nobody's" process and its group

killing a "nobody's" process and its group

Federico

Hello, again

I have problems with a cgi (running as nobody user). The problem is that
none kill -9, $cgi_pid or kill $cgi_pid, or kill... whatever is able to
kill the processes. But if I run as root user a simple perl -e 'kill(-9,
PID)' it is able to kill it.

Anybody knows what could be happening?

thanks!
Federico
(I'm using Mac OsX with apache2 server)

A. Sinan Unur

Federico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ci4f36$cgr$(E-Mail Removed)-data.net:

> I have problems with a cgi (running as nobody user). The problem is
> that none kill -9, $cgi_pid or kill $cgi_pid, or kill... whatever is
> able to kill the processes. But if I run as root user a simple perl -e
> 'kill(-9, PID)' it is able to kill it.

That is gibberish.

Your problem (whatever it is) is not a Perl problem.

> (I'm using Mac OsX with apache2 server)

Learn to partition your problem. Process management is done by the OS, so
you should be asking the question (in a more intelligible manner) in the
appropriate forum.

--
A. Sinan Unur

Federico

You are right.

Federico

A. Sinan Unur wrote:

> Federico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ci4f36$cgr$(E-Mail Removed)-data.net:
>

>>I have problems with a cgi (running as nobody user). The problem is
>>that none kill -9, $cgi_pid or kill $cgi_pid, or kill... whatever is
>>able to kill the processes. But if I run as root user a simple perl -e
>>'kill(-9, PID)' it is able to kill it.

> That is gibberish.
>
> Your problem (whatever it is) is not a Perl problem.
>

>>(I'm using Mac OsX with apache2 server)

> Learn to partition your problem. Process management is done by the OS, so
> you should be asking the question (in a more intelligible manner) in the
> appropriate forum.

A. Sinan Unur

Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>
>> Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:GN6dnbI-k9MEztrcRVn- (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Check the originating address - Obviously English is not
>>> his first language.

>> It is not mine either.

> Seriously? Well, no one's going to accuse you of speaking gibberish.
> Far from it - from what I've read of your posts here, your English is
> better than that of most native speakers.

Thank you for the compliment

> I see your point though - it can be difficult for a non-native speaker
> to decipher a badly broken sentence. Sorry for the flame.

I did not take it as a flame (although my initial post was indeed a flame).

>> For the life of me, I cannot figure out what could

> Just for the record, then - I interpreted it by filling in the blanks:

And, apparently, that was the correct interpretation.

It would have been if I had mentioned that I was not sure if I understood
the question, and given an answer with that disclaimer attached rather than
just calling it gibberish. Apologies to the OP.

Well, thanks for listening everyone. I think this is a good time to end
this thread

Sinan.

Henry Law

On 13 Sep 2004 17:03:16 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Federico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:ci4f36$cgr$(E-Mail Removed)-data.net:

>> 'kill(-9, PID)' it is able to kill it.

>That is gibberish.
>
>Your problem (whatever it is) is not a Perl problem.

>you should be asking the question (in a more intelligible manner) in the
>appropriate forum.

The reasoning behind your post is, of course, correct. But the
unkindness in what you have written is breathtaking.

The OP plainly has something other than English as his first language
and is doing his best. Does your position as an English-speaking
über-mensch living in the land of the free give you the right to put
him down like that?

How hard would it have been to write

"This is not a Perl problem. Killing processes is done
by the operating system so you should ask in the newsgroup
for the operating system in which Apache is running"

Henry Law <>< Manchester, England

A. Sinan Unur

Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 13 Sep 2004 17:03:16 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Federico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:ci4f36$cgr$(E-Mail Removed)-data.net:

>>> 'kill(-9, PID)' it is able to kill it.

>>That is gibberish.

You misquoted. The OP's original sentence was:

The problem is that none kill -9, $cgi_pid or kill $cgi_pid, or kill...
whatever is able to kill the processes. But if I run as root user a
simple perl -e 'kill(-9,PID)' it is able to kill it.

Now, pray tell me, is it or is it not able to kill whatever 'it' is.
Sherm has since explained how to interpret this to me but without that I
would forever not know the intended meaning.

>> Your problem (whatever it is) is not a Perl problem.

>> you should be asking the question (in a more intelligible manner) in
>> the appropriate forum.

> The reasoning behind your post is, of course, correct. But the
> unkindness in what you have written is breathtaking.

Let's not overdo it please.

> The OP plainly has something other than English as his first language
> and is doing his best.

I plainly have something other than English as my first language and I am
trying to do my best. Having learned a couple of other languages than my
own, let me tell you that fully forming sentences is not a hard task so
long as one sticks with simple structures. IMNSHO, choosing not to write
in not in fully formed sentences, dropping vowels, etc, are indicators of
lack of respect for the people one expects to receive help from.

> Does your position as an English-speaking über-mensch living in the
> land of the free give you the right to put him down like that?

So, you mean, I cannot be an über-mensch unless my native language is
English. I am very disappointed.

> How hard would it have been to write
>
> "This is not a Perl problem. Killing processes is done
> by the operating system so you should ask in the newsgroup
> for the operating system in which Apache is running"

Feel free to write that if that is how you would like to spend your time.
On the other hand, I do not remember the OP mentioning anything about
Apache.

Have a nice day.

Sinan.

A. Sinan Unur

"A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> hard task so long as one sticks with simple structures. IMNSHO,
> choosing not to write in not in fully formed sentences, dropping

How ironic ... I meant to write "... choosing not to write in fully formed
sentences ..." and meant no disrespect

Sinan.

Henry Law

On 16 Sep 2004 13:01:13 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>You misquoted. The OP's original sentence was:

Copied directly from your post. Our respective newsreaders have
folded the lines in different places.

>long as one sticks with simple structures. IMNSHO, choosing not to write
>in not in fully formed sentences, dropping vowels, etc, are indicators of
>lack of respect for the people one expects to receive help from.

This implies that not speaking adequate English is equivalent to
lacking respect for the English-speaking members of the newsgroup. I
can't believe that's what you mean. What if the text that the chap
wrote *is* the best he's capable of? How about if he taught himself
English from reading, cigarette packets, say? Could be a pretty
impressive achievement and worthy of our respect. We just don't
know.

In any case we understood enough of what he wrote to work out that
he's asking in the wrong group. That meets the initial requirement.

>> Does your position as an English-speaking über-mensch living in the
>> land of the free give you the right to put him down like that?

>So, you mean, I cannot be an über-mensch unless my native language is
>English. I am very disappointed.

No, I didn't say that. I understand that English is not your native
language (and I acknowledge your achievement in having got almost to
perfection: that is indeed a fine thing to have done). Your post
suggested to me that you were placing yourself in the "über" position
because you have good command of English; that's not connected with
the way in which you learned it. Perhaps because of your own
achievement you have less patience with others who haven't reached the
same standard? I'm glad I'm not posting here in my humdrum German or
rusty French.

>> How hard would it have been to write
>>
>> "This is not a Perl problem. Killing processes is done
>> by the operating system so you should ask in the newsgroup
>> for the operating system in which Apache is running"

>Feel free to write that if that is how you would like to spend your time.

Same number of words as your post; communicated the same message;
didn't make the OP feel small. I don't see your point.

>On the other hand, I do not remember the OP mentioning anything about
>Apache.

Copied from the original post:
>thanks!
>Federico
>(I'm using Mac OsX with apache2 server)

Henry Law <>< Manchester, England

A. Sinan Unur

Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 16 Sep 2004 13:01:13 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>

>>You misquoted. The OP's original sentence was:

> Copied directly from your post. Our respective newsreaders have
> folded the lines in different places.

Now you are lying. My original post contained full quote of what I was
referring to as 'gibberish'. I would like to know if that passage does
not match the following definition:

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Gibberish n. [From {Gibber}, v. i.] Rapid and inarticulate talk;
unintelligible language;

> What if the text that the chap wrote *is* the best he's capable of?
> How about if he taught himself English from reading, cigarette
> packets, say? Could be a pretty impressive achievement and worthy of
> our respect. We just don't know.

Ah, the soft-bigotry of lowered expactations ... In any case, you must
have very, very interesting cigarette packets in England for you to have
been able to imagine such a thing possible. OTOH, if performing such a
feat does not accomplish the underlying purpose of using language, i.e.
getting others to understand you, it is pretty useless no matter how
impressive.

> Perhaps because of your own achievement you have less patience with
> others who haven't reached the same standard?

Whatever my achievement might be, it did not happen overnight. It also
could not have happened if no one ever pointed out my errors.
Elsethread, in response to Sherm, I had already said:

It would have been (better) if I had mentioned that I was not sure if I
understood the question, and given an answer with that disclaimer
attached rather than just calling it gibberish. Apologies to the OP.

almost a day before you called me "unkind". Now, I know news propagation
takes but had you really not seen that before attacking me?

>>On the other hand, I do not remember the OP mentioning anything about
>>Apache.

> Copied from the original post:
>>thanks!
>>Federico
>>(I'm using Mac OsX with apache2 server)

I just did not notice that probably because it was under the his name.
Sorry.

I thought I had laid my part in this thread to rest and will do for real
this time.

--
A. Sinan Unur
(E-Mail Removed)d

Abhinav

Henry Law wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2004 13:01:13 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

[Snip....]

With due respects ...

Let's look at this...

http://www.slightlywarped.com/forump...cks/oracle.jpg

....and let helpful people get on with what they do best .. help others
solve Perl problems (Especially when they have acknowledged their
misdemeanours up-thread.

Regards
Abhinav
P.S. English isnt my 1st language either, and I hope that any words greater
than 5 characters used above do not have any offensive implications