Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Help with POD in Win98 (activeperl)

Help with POD in Win98 (activeperl)

Harris

I'm trying to use the POD translators to convert my comments into
either a text file or a html page. I've used the commandline calls
"pod2text test.pl | more" "pod2text test.pl > test.txt" as well as the
pod2html translator. (all from Programming Perl 3rd Ed)
All I get is a printout to the screen, the test.txt or test.html is
created but with nothing inside. Even piping the output to more or /p
doesn't do anything.

Paul Lalli

Harris wrote:

> I'm trying to use the POD translators to convert my comments into
> either a text file or a html page. I've used the commandline calls
> "pod2text test.pl | more" "pod2text test.pl > test.txt" as well as the
> pod2html translator. (all from Programming Perl 3rd Ed)
> All I get is a printout to the screen, the test.txt or test.html is
> created but with nothing inside. Even piping the output to more or /p
> doesn't do anything.

Did you try the syntax specified by both
perldoc pod2text
and
pod2text -h
?

They say that the output file should be specified on the command line,
right after the input file...

Let us know the results of that command, please.

Paul Lalli

Harris

Paul Lalli wrote:

> Harris wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use the POD translators...

> Did you try the syntax specified by both
> perldoc pod2text
> and
> pod2text -h
> ?
>
> They say that the output file should be specified on the command
> line, right after the input file...
>
> Let us know the results of that command, please.
>
> Paul Lalli

Thanks a lot for that, my mistake was to try and use '|' and '>' to
direct the output of Pod2text to the input file. The correct
commandline call was "pod2text input.pl output.txt" rather than
"pod2text input.pl > output.txt".